The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo V70 Diesel RFI  (Read 948 times)
OH1GR

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2004, 06:34:21 AM »

I have mounted Yaesu FT-857 into my Volvo V70 D5. The antenna is Comet UHV-6 mounted with Maldol PRM-L roof-rail mount. The control panel of the rig is mounted to the dashboard by utilizing mobile phone mounting accessories. I found an appropriate space for the TCVR near the spare tyre. The length of the power cables is not more than one meter.

Everything works fine from 80 m to 70 cm, but there is one problem, which I have not been able to solve: The terrible S7 - S9 RFI at 20 m band. The most obvious source for the RFI is the fuel injection unit. The RFI path is not the power cables, but the antenna.

I have already contacted Volvo is Sweden. According to them nobody has encountered this problem before! Anyway, they are exploring the problem, but no solution has found yet.

Does anybody else have similar problem with new Volvo diesels 2.4D or 5D? In case you do, have you found any solutions for the problem?

73's

Mika, OH1GR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:14:11 AM »

Mika, many late model Diesel engines with electronic injection (Volvo, MB, BMW) have this same problem. The only solution is to use split beads over the control wires and hope for the best.

Currently, Mix 43 is about the best until suppliers start carrying the new Mix 31. Diesel injectors are rather high current devices and you'll need more than one bead on each lead. I haven't looked at the D5, but the other Volvos I've seen make it difficult to place the beads over the individual injector's wires. If this is true of the D5, you may have to resort to placing large beads over the whole control bundle.

If you haven't done any bonding or strapping of the hood, tail pipes, etc, you might try that too. Look at my web site for help with this item.

Good luck, Mika.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

OH1GR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 04:57:47 PM »

Thanks, Alan

I will wait if Volvo is able to provide a "factory made" solution for the problem. If not, I'll install more split beads. I have already tryed with one per each control cable, but this did not provide any noticable effect.

73's

Mika, OH1GR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: