Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lithium Battery-- Kenwood TM-231A  (Read 1988 times)
N2XVK

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2004, 03:44:07 PM »

I recently began to have some memory problems with my Kenwood, leading me to believe the problem is my lithium battery backup. One slight detail: Upon dissemably, I was unable to find the battery. Likewise upon examining the schematic. Any thoughts?

DE N2XVK
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 09:57:01 PM »

are you sure it is not on the display board, just behind the front panel?

It should be a 2036 with tabs. While the last one I replaced did not have tabs, I recommend the tabs! I had a tough time getting the solder connection made without a solder hump that made reassembly a little tight.
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »

The lithium battery is in the front of the radio behind the display. It is a job to take the front portion of the radio apart to get to the battery. When you get to the battery unsolder the tabs and solder some small 6" long wires to the board where the battery tabs were soldered. Note the polarity shown on the PC board and know which wire is positive. Carefully put the front of the radio apart being sure that the wires extend into inside of the radio. Get a battery holder and a 3220 battery from Radio Shack and solder wires to the battery holder - being sure to get the polarity right. Wrap the battery and holder with rubber tape and stick it in the area where the little capacitors are - not in the area by the speaker. Close up the radio and it should hold a memory for a long time. If the battery ever needs changing again it is easy to unwrap the holder and change the battery than taking the front of the radio apart again.
K5KNE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: