Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Modulator for AF output  (Read 389 times)
WD6AGJ

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2004, 08:49:29 PM »

Has anyone ever tried using an FM modulator to put rig AF output onto your vehicle audio system?  I have 3 rigs in the car, and would like to mix all three AF outs and put them on my vehicle FM radio.  Basically, I am trying to minimize all the speakers and clean up my installation.  Thanks.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 01:04:22 PM »

You could surely do that, but it's probably cheaper and more effective, if your car system has a cassette player as most do, to simply use a cassette cartridge adapter.

I have one sold by SONY and made as a car accessory for a portable "Walkman" type CD player.  It plugs into the cassette deck in the dashboard (part of the original equipment stereo system) and provides a metric minijack for audio input from the "Walkman," but you can plug any line-level audio in there.  The external "speaker" output from any ham rig works just fine.  You connect this wire, plug in the pseudo-cassette, turn on the stereo, and have 100 watts of peak audio power playing all the speakers in your car!

I rarely actually *use* this attachment, as I really don't need it, but it works fine and the SONY accessory only cost about $10.  (BTW, this adapter is passive and requires no source of power.)

WB2WIK/6
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »

All Electronics sells the adapter for $4.95, but the mailing will cost nearly as much.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 03:01:02 PM »

One thing you might consider is a Blitzsafe adapter, if your car stereo has an unused CD changer input.  This way, you simply change the radio to the CD changer or AUX input and it gets the sound through the vehicle's stereo.  You'll probably also need a level converter to convert the output of your radio into the input of the blitzsafe adapter (it usually takes line level signals at a couple kilo ohms impedance I believe).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: