Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 706 Installation in Dodge 2500 Truck  (Read 643 times)
AD5DR

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2002, 10:58:28 PM »

Does anyone have any advice on installing an ICOM 706 in a Dodge Pickup? It's a 1999, 3/4 ton diesel with a manual (stick) shift.  It has two batteries so I can get power from either side.

I'm specifically interested in:

1. How to bring 12 VDC and coaxs from two antennas into the cab without cutting holes in the firewall or floor.

2. Where to mount the 706.  I have the 3.5 meter separation cable, the optional back mount for the removable front unit, and the optional swivel unit it attaches to.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.....Greg (AD5DR)
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 09:25:23 AM »

Are those batteries run in series for 24v to start the truck? How are the other 12v accessories powered?
AD5DR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 08:47:40 PM »

No, the two batteries are in parallel.  All the systems are regular 12 volts.  I think the reason there's two of them is to provide the high cranking amps necessary with a diesel's high compression ratio.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2002, 02:39:41 AM »

I also had my 706 and 706MkII in my Dodge 2500 but it was an automatic. I ran fused pos and neg wires from the battery terminals out the fender well and thru the opening to the door and then into the cab thru the side of the passenger compartment. I used a PVC mount but you have a stick shift in the way so I would suggest you put the radio under the driver's seat and secure it there and then run the remote to the head on the dash. I used a dash cover and mounted a speaker to the dash cover with a firm backing to support the thing. It should also work with the radio head. e-mail me at sirdrakejr@aol.com if I can help further.
Frank
KL7IPV
PA3DUV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 08:07:49 AM »

Hi Greg,
Check my 706 mobile setup at:http://www.qsl.net/pa3duv
See the pictures on the mobile pages.
Best regards, Dick PA3DUV
WB6AGR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:44:33 PM »

I mounted the head of the ICOM on the ash tray, ran 12v from left battery, through firewall to radio, under the seat. ran the coax, from a screwdriver through a popout  in the floor in the back.  ps, I need 2 new batteries for the truck, Ideas?, Joe wb6agr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: