Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two radios from single power supply?  (Read 431 times)
KB3KYO

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2004, 01:23:25 PM »

I have a 2-meter radio and another radio (ok, it's 11 meters!) that are currently hooked up to their own power supplies.

Any reason I can't share a single power supply (the bigger one is a Pyramid PS-21KX, plenty big enough.

I just want to make sure there's no problem feeding both (and having both on at the same time, obviously only xmting on one at a time).
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 06:43:34 PM »

As long as the power supply can handle the load current, there's no reason you can't transmit with both at the same time.

Most of us use a big, single station power supply and transmit on multiple bands simultaneously all the time.  I use an Astron RS-70M mostly (70A peak, 55A continuous) to power most everything in the shack and as long as it doesn't all exceed 55A, I feel quite fine about transmitting on 2-3 bands at once -- maybe more, in a multiop contest situation.

WB2WIK/6
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:35:09 AM »

As long as the power supply can handle the total current draw, you can run as many radios from the same supply as you want.
KC0LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 12:36:29 PM »

The radios don't care what else is on the power supply, as long as they can suck enough current to do their jobs.

If you're only going to be transmitting on one radio at any given time, figure out (1) which radio draws the most current on transmit and (2) which draws the most on receive. Add the two, add a safety margin (10-15%), and make sure your one PS can supply that.

If you'll be transmitting on both (voice on one, packet on the other, for example), the PS has to supply sufficient current for both on transmit.

- Sam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: