Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 706MkIIG and AH-4 stuck in tuning loop  (Read 379 times)
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »

Hello all,
My Expedition was in the shop for paintless dent removal and they dropped the headliner.  I had the cables (coaxial and control) for the AH-4 dressed up under there.  Needless to say, they dropped them all over the floor and didn't put them back the way they found them...in fact they didn't put them back at all.  So I put them back.  Now the problem.  Previously, I was able to tune 40m and even 80m (bonux) on the stainless whip.  Tonight after re-dressing all of the cables exactly where they were, when I went to 40m and pushed the tune button, the radio shut off and immediately came back on with the light off indicating that it had not found a match.  It had originally done that on 17m at first install way back when but I put 2 beads on the remote face cable at the radio end to cure it.  After turning the radio on again, I pushed tune once more.  This time, it turned off, and sounds like it is trying to come back on but is cycling rapidly.  I can hear relays in the radio and the tuner clicking rapidly.  So I disconnected the power to stop it while I thought about it.  Tried it with the control head disconnected, no change.  No mic...no change.  No control cable to the tuner, only the radio cycles but still no joy.  The manual does not offer any advice.
  Does anyone have any ideas other than buying more darn beads and beading up the wires some more?  I already have them on the coax and control at the tuner, and on the remote head cable at the radio end.  I'm at wits end.
  Thanks in advance.
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 08:22:37 PM »

Update...it has now stopped cycling when I re-connect the power...but it does not power on.  Out of ideas....the manual does not offer a reset that I can find so that I can at least use the 2 meter part.
Tnx de Mike
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 11:51:17 PM »

Update some more....the entire story now comes to light upon further conversation with XYL.

When my wife went to pick up the Expedition from the body shop (since they aren't open late enough for me to get home from work), the battery was dead because they left the dome light on for 3 days.  They needed to jump start it.  The very short drive home was not enough charge on the battery, especially since I did my re-hookup testing without starting the engine.  Amazing how everything works better with proper voltage after a bit of charging.  All makes sense now.

So, lesson is...when they say check the power, that means more than checking to see if it's polugged in...check to see just what it's plugged in to.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 09:09:55 AM »

Well, you've found out what most other 706 owners have, all apparently, the hard way. My personal IC706MkIIG stops working when the DC voltage drops below 11.6, and starts being erratic at 11.8. The AH-4 is okay with as little as 10.5 or so.

If you got an 8 foot whip to load on 80 meters with the AH-4, you're the first as the unit doesn't have enough range to do this. Using roof mounting with a whip 11 or so feet long, it might be possible.  

BTW what is bonux?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 11:02:31 AM »

Well, I'm not saying that 80 is good.  Bonux is what happens when your fingers say bonux but your brain said bonus and you missed it proofreading.  I meant that 80 was a bonus.  I've made contacts on 80, but the sig report wasn't very good.   The whip is (with spring and stuff) a bit longer than 8 1/2 ft.
Thanks.
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:53:01 PM »

I have an 8 foot (102") whip on my mobile AH-4. The connection from the tuner is perhaps another foot. To my surprise, it can tune it on 75m. But I prefer to use my 75m Hamstick for that band.

I tried a 6m Hamstick for the 6m band, as the antenna length with the big whip is about a half wavelength, and the high current point ends up down at the base, not up in the air where it can do some good. I did not have satisfactory results from the 6m Hamstick. Signals were all of an S unit down from the whip, which tells me that having more capture area helps here. (I use quick disconnects, so QSB isn't the reason, and I tested this repeatedly for an hour during the recent contest just to be sure.) Plus the Hamstick was severely affected by my particular side mounting. Too much of that antenna was near the body of the truck.

I will stick with the whip for 40-6m and use my 75m Hamstick on that band.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: