Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS 120 on High Sierra Mount??  (Read 498 times)
KG4VPV

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2004, 12:02:13 AM »

Has anyone ever used one of those High Sierra Antenna mounts with an ATAS-120?  If so, which one did you use and how did it work?  I know, you have to swap out he connectors to make it fit, but im interested to hear how it went.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:47 AM »

What sort of answer are you looking for. Performance? Ease of mounting? The ATAS is a minimal antenna and almost regardless of how you mount it, it works about the same. If you're going to use the High Sierra mount, why not use the High Sierra antenna? The difference in performance is easily 15 dB, maybe more, and you have 80 meters to boot.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4VPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 10:16:40 AM »

Well, because I already have the ATAS, and I am just trying to mount it in the bed of the pickup truck.  I really like the way the High Sierra mount is built with the connector at the bottom, and the support clamp at the top, but unfortunately, im stuck with the ATAS for the time being.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 05:18:01 PM »

The HS mount is overkill for that antenna. Besides, the main body of the coil will be less than 3" from the mount for most of its length. Not a good situation.

If you need a mount of some kind, one of the aluminum brackets with an SO-239 on it (for CB antennas connected to trucks) will work and be a WHOLE lot cheaper.

I agree with Alan, get a real motorised antenna. Just about any of this will outperform the ATAS 120, although I think HS is the best of the breed.

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 08:51:41 PM »

<<  and I am just trying to mount it in the bed of the pickup truck.>>

You don't want this antenna IN the bed. At the very least, mount it on the top of one of the box rails. There are mounts that fit in the stake pockets that you can adapt.

Another option is a right-angle mount on the front fender.

BTW, there is no top clamp used on the 120, like is used on the HS and Tarheel antennas. The 120 is totally supported by the PL-259/SO-239 connector arrangement. That is a real poor setup, strength-wise.

Lon
KG4VPV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:36:33 PM »

The box rails dont have post holes.  Its an 03 Dakota.  Im going to place the mount just inside of the tailgate (as high as I can), theres a sturdy peice of channel reinforcing the tailgate (under the skin) inside the bed.  Thats what I want to mount it to.  I wanted to use an alternative mount to clamp it higher up to make it stronger......That was the whole idea, as I was not impressed with the existing mounts.  Just trying to find something that wont break the mount the first time I hit a small branch.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 12:19:20 AM »

<< theres a sturdy peice of channel reinforcing the tailgate (under the skin) inside the bed. Thats what I want to mount it to.>>

Then go to RS and get a right-angle mirror bracket witn an SO-239 on it and bolt that to the frame member.

<< I wanted to use an alternative mount to clamp it higher up to make it stronger......>>

It's not designed to have anything clamp it higher. You will interfer with the telecsoping of the antenna, at the very least.

<< That was the whole idea, as I was not impressed with the existing mounts. Just trying to find something that wont break the mount the first time I hit a small branch.   >>

that's why so many hams get rid of the ATAS series as soon as they can - they are NOT a sturdy antenna. Anything that big that uses only a PL-259/SO-239 combo for mounting isn't going to last after a couple of branch hits. And the performance is pretty pitiful, too.

Good luck with the project, you'll need it.
KG4VPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 11:23:59 AM »

So, does anyone want to buy my unused ATAS? :-)  By the way, I heard that they make a control box for High Sierras that makes the tranciever believe it is the atas, and tune it accordingly.  Does anhyone know anything about that?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 09:54:31 PM »

I think it's W4RT that makes such an animal. This presumes you are running a Yeasu rig - that's the only brand the controller works with.

You don't really need an external controller with the HS. Just use what is supplied to tune for maximum received noise on the S-meter and you'll be well within 2:1 just about anywhere. This presumes, of course, a proper antenna installation in the first place.

Lon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: