Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Setup in Chevy Prizm  (Read 308 times)
N5WBI

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2004, 01:12:15 PM »

I've had to switch vehicles from my Plymouth Voyager van to a much smaller 2003 Chevy Prizm (aka Toyota Corolla).  I'm having a very hard time figuring where to mount my Ranger RCI-5054 6M all-mode and/or my Uniden HR2600 10M all-mode.  I'd like to have use of the passenger side front seat, so that means whatever setup I use will need to be quickly removable without creating too much stress for both the radios and the operator.  Any suggestions??

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:12:23 PM »

With some fear of sounding like a smartypants...sell them both and buy an all mode/all band like an Icom 706, or a Yaesu FT857. It is difficult enough finding room for just one remote head, much less two complete radios, even small ones like yours.

And there is a safety issue too. With out due causion, any mounting scheme you use to make R&R simple yet safe is probably going to be just as intrusive as the complete radio would be.

Good Luck in any case.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N0RQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 08:14:02 AM »

Agreed that 2 rigs in a Prizm would be either impossible or unsafe.  I have an '02 Prizm (nice little car, really a Toyota Corolla in disguise), and had problems even mounting a plain 2m rig.  

At first, I had an FT-1500 backside down in the tray behind the hand brake.  Rig was OK, but had to turn way too much to see it -- not safe.

Now, I put a 2m rig up on the dash in the middle.  Yeah, I know, not ideal at all.  I think it is far enough away from the passenger air bag.  It is mounted with heavy-duty Velcro, and stays put very well.  It does not block the view at all, and the only potential problem I see would be if I was in a serious accident.  I consider this a temporary installation until I get a 2m/440 rig with a remote head -- the head will be mounted safely on the dash, and the rig will be under the passenger seat or in the trunk.

2 rigs -- forget it, unless you take the passenger seat.  Unfortunately, car manufacturers have yet to realize that they should design dashboards with hams in mind...

73, Dave N0RQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: