Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on antenna  (Read 478 times)
AB9DF

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:25:19 PM »

I have a Kenwood thF6a and am looking for a good antenna for it to hook up to my car.  I have thought about using a triplexer then thought maybe I should just get a tri-band antenna.  Now being that a tri-band antenna is a compromise, maybe it is wiser to just get a triplexer and three antennas.  I would just hate to go away from a 5/8 wave antenna on 2 mtrs.  Anyone out there have the same dilemma?  Does anyone have any recommendations on a certain antenna?  I am pretty sure that I do not want a magmount antenna but I think a clip on is my only option.  Any recommendations there?  I would only be using 5 watts and primarily in the city or on the highway.  Sorry for the wordiness but I just havent come up in my mind what is the best route to take.  Any advise would be appreciated   73  Rob AB9DF
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:37:34 PM »

Before you go all out with a gain antenna on an HT, you should be aware that most HT's can't handle the signal levels delivered by external antennas.  That being said, you could use a larsen 2M 5/8 wave which will also work on 6M as an electrical quarter wave.  Then you would only need a 2nd antenna for 440, connected via diplexer.  You could also do a separate 6M whip and a 2M/440 dual band antenna connected via diplexer.  I would propose using a temporary 5/8 2M antenna for a while to see if the radio can handle it without intermod, then you can pick your antennas accordingly.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 12:29:24 AM »

A good antenna choice for you would be a Diamond CR324A.  1/4 wave on 2m, 1/2 wave on 222, colinear on 440.  That's what I am using on my car right now.  I agree, though, that your TH-F6A, as fine an HT as it is, will be far more subject to intermod and overloading the front end than a triband mobile rig.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: