Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MagMount on a rental vehicle  (Read 583 times)
KC9EOS

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2004, 04:46:29 PM »

Looking for your experiences in using a mag mount antenna on a rented vehicle.  Is there a way to do this and minimize the chance of scratching the finish?  How do rental companies feel about using an antenna?  I am aware of the protective boot that Antenex offers.  Does something like that affect the ground of the antenna?  Any way to do the same thing without buying another mount?  Thanks for your thoughts!
9W2NAD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 04:06:32 AM »

Suggest u wrap the mount with masking tape or something similar. will stop scratches but donno whether it will improve propogation
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:09:31 AM »

Just remember. If you're involved in a crash, a mag mounted antenna will dislodge, and more than likely snap the coax thus becoming a flying missle. So far this year, there have been 4 reports of injury from mag mounted antennas and one confirmed death. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

As a sidebar; I traveled extesively for many years with a great deal of it in airport rental cars. I don't know about your job, but I never had time for ham radio when I was on the road for my company. In my personal car, that's a whole new ballgame.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 03:07:07 PM »

Alan,

<< So far this year, there have been 4 reports of injury from mag mounted antennas and one confirmed death.>>

I remember several months back you asked about info on the fatality. Did you ever get it and/or do you have a location for info on the injury accidents?

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 05:16:14 PM »

Yes. It appeared on the NHTSA's crash stats several months ago. I don't remember the URL, but you can get to the stats from their web site.

ALan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB2PSM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 08:01:42 PM »

I have gone on vacation with rental cars and ran both a VHF/UHF radio and an HF/6M radio.  I used quality trunk lip mounts for my Outbacker Jr, Diamond 2m/70cM antenna and a six meter hamstick.  I am careful to not bend or scratch any of the sheet-metal.  I also cleanly ran 12V wires to the fuse-block, making very positive connections and the seat lug for ground.

Obviously, I do not do it in front of the dealer, but make sure that I can operate safely, as efficiently as I can (given the temporary conditions)and without any damage to the rental vehicle.  Just in case, I have used heavy mono-filament line to guy the Outbacker.

A Diamond K400 mount is not cheap, but much lighter and easier to use than a magnet mount- especially a larger one needed for a heftier antenna.

Rob  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

Alan,

Thanks!

Lon
WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 07:34:41 PM »

I treat my car as a rental for antenna mounting.  I use a tri-mag mount from ProAm/Valor.  I run the coax in the trunk, then (my back seat fold down) run it to the back seat where I have my radio.  I use ths for a Hustler HF antenna.  No damage, no holes, only a little tuning if I take down and remount the antennas.

I have also used a "sunction cup" system to window mount my HT antenna.  Worked OK.

Have alo used an MFJ 2m antenna, mag mount, with the same set-up.  Again, no damage, good performace

I would be REALLY careful using a radio in a rental not because of the car but because of the territory.  The surprising raods/traffic may make it dangerous.  I take my HT on many trips but do not mobile with it at all (Washington DC traffic!)

Chris WO8USA
ON4MGY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:54:23 AM »

I have to agree with KP2PSM. If the rented car isn't a model without a trunk, the best you can do is to use a trunk-lip antenna mount. There will be no scratches at all if you remove it, and the mount will be fixed in any case, so also in the case of a car accident or hitting a low tree branch with the antenna.
My experience with a magnet mount is that most of the scratches are made by the coax running over the roof and moving a little when you're driving. No problem when you're using a trunk-lip mount. The coax is in the car without laying on it.
When you're not operating mobile on HF, but just VHF/UHF, a glass mounted antenna can be a solution. No damage at all and the antenna is higher then when mounted on the trunk.
Good luck with the installation.

ON4MGY Nic
KI4CRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 09:10:01 PM »

I went to Indiana with my family for spring break, (unfortunately I'm stiil paying for that one, blew out the knee, had surgery 2 weeks ago.)  Anyway, I used my Yaesu VX5R with an MFJ1724B dual band Mag Mount, also had an external mike and it worked quite well on the Jeep Grand Cherokee we rented.  Just my 2 cents.  Wish you well, and lots of luck.  73 de  Mark  KI4CRA      

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: