Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the right mobile antenna  (Read 471 times)
SDMF69

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2004, 02:33:35 PM »

Hey guys, I bought a Yaesu 2800M a few months back and I was wondering... What kind of antenna do I need to get that will allow me to scan (160-162mhz) AND transmit on the 144-148mhz range? The one I got now will scan just fine, but it won't transmit at all. Keep in mind too, that this is for my new truck so I want to keep a magnet mount if possible.

P.S. I was told the reason it's not transmitting is because my Comtelco mag mount antenna isn't "designed" to transmit..and that I could damage my 2800M by trying to transmit on it. Any help guys??
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 05:11:44 PM »

Just about any two meter antenna will allow you to receive on the VHF business bands.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 02:11:01 PM »

Sounds like you're a railfan!  Good stuff!

As Alan stated just about any 2m mobile antenna will be fine for monitoring where you want to.  The simplest is a 1/4 wave groundplane.

Why your current one won't work on 2m I have no idea.
SDMF69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 02:57:47 PM »

Very good!! I am indeed a railfan! My current antenna is a quarter wave, and honestly I have no real "need" to transmit, it's just that I don't think I can based on trying to pick up my transmissions from my portable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: