Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: String of bad Kenwood TM-271A's?  (Read 408 times)
AB0FR

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2004, 11:39:25 PM »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is exactly the spot for this question, but I am having the worst time ever with these radios.  My apologies if this belongs somewhere else.

Here's the story:

My old Alinco 2m mobile finally breathed its last, so I ordered a TM-271A online from a major dealer that I've had nothing but the best luck from.  However, when the radio arrived, and I began going through the features and programming frequencies into the memory channels.  Everything was going just fine until I did a full system reset with the intention of getting things ready for mobile operation.  That's when the trouble started.

From that point on, the radio refused to program.  I checked and re-checked that I wasn't doing something stupid, but in truth the procedure for writing a frequency to a memory channel on the radio is really pretty simple - pick a frequency through the VFO, push the F button, turn to an open memory channel, and then press the MR key!

Weirder things started happening when I would write a frequency to a memory channel, and one attempt would fail, the next would work, and then the one after that would fail again.  Even stranger was when I wrote to the call channel, and an entirely different frequency showed up.

I called Kenwood and talked to the tech there, and he was totally baffled and suggested that I send it back to the retailer, which I did.  Today, after anxiously waiting for the replacement radio, I got the new one, and figured my troubles were over.

WRONG

The "new" radio is doing the same thing - and is doing it right away, without that initial system reset that started this whole adventure the first time.   Now, I'm starting to wonder if I did something to "break" both radios?  I initially hooked up the radio to the included fused power line and connected little 3 amp power supply, just to get the lights on.  

This is the same supply that has been powering my Wilderness Sierra QRP rig for the last seven years, and prior to hooking the Kenwood to it, I had a Radio Shack 10 meter mobile hooked to it in order to learn the menu and features.  Both those radios are just fine.  Now, I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous, but is there any way a little power amp can cause this sort of damage, and through a triple-fused factory line?

Anyway, I've done as much testing on this as I'm able.  I hooked the radio into the car, and it does everything else (transmit, receive, send PL tones) except write to memory channels.  So, I'm narrowing it down to a few possibilities.

1) I'm breaking these radios (but only the memory-write feature).
2) I got the same broken radio back from the dealer - but, the radio had the little plastic thingie over the screen, and came with new bags of screws, etc - which I had opened orginally.
3) Somehow, I've been lucky enough to pull two radios with some severe quality control issues.

Has anyone had this happen, or can someone see something that I'm doing wrong?  

Thanks a lot!

Brent
AB0FR
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 07:47:29 AM »

There is no way you broke the radios

Either you are missing something in what you are doing or the radios have a design problem.

If they have a design problem, it would be the same for all radios of that production run. If you are doing something worng, you are doing it the same for both radios.

Either way, this would explain why you are having repeat problems.

73 Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: