Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio shack mag mount scanner antenna  (Read 571 times)
AB2MH

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2004, 09:48:20 PM »

I got a radio shack mag mount mobile scanner antenna pretty cheap last year, and would like to use it when doing public service events and emcomm and riding along in someone else's vehicle (eg. SATERN, Red Cross, event officials etc).

Have any of you used it?  How well does it perform as a transmitting antenna?  They say that it works as a dual band ham antenna in addition to being a scanner antenna.  I would imagine that as a wideband antenna, it's going to be a compromise.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 09:11:38 AM »

I'd have to know the exact RS part number to be able to look it up and correctly answer your question.

I do not like mag mount antennas as they come loose during a crash. This past February a passenger was killed after a mag mount antenna went through the windshield after a crash which her car was not involved in.

Alan, KØBG

KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 04:56:07 PM »

Yes, you can use it as a dual band antenna.

"
Features:
• Ideal replacement for lost antennas
• Longer length and better performance than stock scanner antennas
• Improves reception of marginal signals
• Performance optimized for all scanner brands
• BNC adapter fits all handheld scanners
• Can be used to transmit in 2M and 70cm ham bands
"
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F001&product%5Fid=20%2D032

Cortland
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:37:56 AM »

>>I'd have to know the exact RS part number to be able to look it up and correctly answer your question. <<

The cat. no is 20-032.

>>I do not like mag mount antennas as they come loose during a crash. This past February a passenger was killed after a mag mount antenna went through the windshield after a crash which her car was not involved in. <<

Alan, on my car I don't have a mag mount.  What this antenna is for is for riding along in served agencies vehicles (red cross, SATERN) or even in other person's vehicles, such as event officials for various athons.  Most of the times we'll be stationary, and even when moving, it won't be very fast.

Obviously, I can't go drilling holes in their vehicles just for one event.  So a mag mount will have to do, at least until we can encourage them to permanently mount ham antennas in all of their vehicles.
KB1HQH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »

If I am not mistaken, you can also transmit on 6 meters as well.  At least it works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: