Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: idea for install in 99 Taurus  (Read 325 times)
WA4UF

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:24:27 PM »

I'll be installing my FT-100 in a 99 Taurus.  My primary bands of interest are 2m (actually on another rig) 6, 17, 20 and 40.  I figured on the usual 5/8 mag on the roof for 2, and a pair of mounts bolted to the underside behind the back bumper.  Bugcatcher for HF goes on one, and I was thinking a 1/2wave vert for 6, exchangable with a square halo (for when the wife isn't around to object to the ugly thing :-)).  This sound reasonably sane?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 03:14:43 PM »

If I owned a 1999 Taurus it would already have several holes drilled and look like a porcupine. All kidding aside, you'd be much better off with a good quality NMO mounted VHF antenna.

HF? While I agree about the reluctance of mounting some of the heavier screwdriver antennas on ballmounts, it is somewhat more efficient than mounting the antenna as low as you suggest.

You might want to look at HiQ antenns web site. It takes some searching around, but you'll find a number of pictures showing their mounts. At lease it'll give you an idea or two.

If you're into auto-couplers, you might want to look at my web site for some ideas.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WA4UF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:00:34 PM »

One specific criterium for the installation is that there be no holes drilled in the exterior.  The low bumper mounts will allow a solid connection to the body without poking holes.  6 is a primary concern for me; seems to me a low-mounted inductively matched 1/2w would do better than a 1/4 mounted higher up.  The 1/2w would be exchangable for a squalo on a mast, for expeditions where the wife was not along to register aesthetic complaints.  

As for the bugcatcher, I'm willing to put up with increased ground loss in exchange for a solid mounting (the current mount is on the trunk lid lip, and flexes way too much (fibreglas trunk)).

I've also considered a 1/2w for 2m mounted on the edge of the trunk - with the 1/2w the lack of a groundplane to work against would not be a factor.  Of course, the 5/8 magmount does have one crowning virtue - I already own 3 of 'em.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 10:28:15 PM »

True half waves are impossible to match efficiently. Most half wave VHF antennas are loaded half waves and have zero gain over a 1/4 wave. They just don't need a groundplane.

One thing you have to do is establish a level of satisfaction you're comfortable with. If drilling holes is a nono (it is a 1999 isn't it?) you'll have to put up with what ever level it is. You'll still work stations, it just will not be as easy.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 01:17:39 AM »

I ran a Texas Bugcatcher on my 1993 Taurus for a while. I found I got better results using a shorter mast on the roof than with a five foot mast running from the vehicle frame upwards -- coil and whip at the same height in both cases. This accords with the Antenna Book's comments about ground losses. Ended up building a mag mount heavy enough to support the Bugcatcher and a four to seven foot top hat on a car roof, though right now it's holding up a HiQ 4-80.

I would not do this if I were concerned with a car's appearance. I have scratched the paint almost down to the metal in quite a few places on my present car, and if I ever buy a new car, I'll bolt one of Charlie's heavy duty quick disconnects to the roof instead of using a mag mount, even a monster one. This will be easier to do as the HiQ antenna at least looks civilized enough to GO on a new car. To a Ham, anyway.

Cortland
KA5S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: