The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Mounting Hardware Sources??  (Read 1032 times)
K1YU

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:01:29 PM »

Does anyone know of any good sources for universal mounts?  Please read on for the details...

I would like to make a mounting system for all of my mobile rig remote heads, etc.  My vision is something that sits between the front seats and consists mainly of a vertical post.  On this vertical post, I would attach various univeral mounts for each control head or other radio component.  The mounts would allow me make minor adjustments to the head positioning for viewing/operation, and also allow some flexibility as I update my radios.  There are some great dedicated mounts that come with some radios, GPS systems, satellite radios, etc.  But, nothing that I have fits the bill.  I am looking mainly for low profile, metal mounts, that offer rotation and minor (1-2") distance adjustment, with a decent locking mechanism.  I have not been able to find any online source for these.  Any ideas?

One thought was to use ball mounts that photographers use to mount their cameras to tripods.  These tend to be a little on the expensive side, are not necessirality low profile, and only offer rotational changes (not distance).  As a last resort, I might try them.  73, John
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:12:44 AM »

Gamber-Johnson makes a large majority of the mounts used by law enforcement and other emergency services. They make EXACTLY what you envision. There is one thing to keep in mind, however, and that is safety.

What ever you do, it must remain clear of an SRS devices and all vehicle controls, and I have to tell you, it isn't easy in some vehicles. I touch on this on my web site under Safey First.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1YU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 02:23:14 PM »

Alan - thanks for the pointer - I'll check it out.  Safety is definitely a concern.  I am also trying to design the vertical post in such a way as to not impail (sp?) anyone, and to also break away from the base if someone from the back seat comes flying forward.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »

http://www.w9iix.com/

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:53:03 PM »

We have used products from Havis Shields and SDI in our Florida Highway Patrol vehicle installations. Everything from radios and siren/light controls to laptops.

Larry,N2HBX
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 10:12:13 AM »

I just got finished installing the remote head for my Yausu FT100. At the suggestion of another ham I used one of those rear view mirror mounts that you can pick up for $5 at any auto parts store. It is screwed to a panel on my front dash that can be easily replaced if needed. It worked great. I would never know by looking at it that it wasn't one of those expensive mounts. If you could find some sort of vertical post and mount several of these you could get by on the cheap.
N8AHO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 09:42:26 PM »

I just thought I would pass this site on, I've never used any of their mounts yet but I am getting ready to order soon. They sure seem to have many solutions.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: