The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: source for high quality NMO mount?  (Read 1320 times)
N2MPT

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:01:48 PM »

folks,

can anyone recommend a top quality NMO mount w/coax assembly?  i don't want one that will rust out or otherwise cause me problems.  i have read here that MAXRAD makes good NMO mounts but i don't know which model nor where to get them online.

i will be installing through the roof it in my new Toyota Tocoma 4x4 pickup, just forward of the third brake light.  

also, is there any advantage/disadvantage to the 3/8" hole version vs 5/8" hole version mounts?  also, are some types of NMO mounts better for 70 and 23cm usage?  primarily i need 2m/70cm but "you never know"...

thanks for any leads/links/etc.

jim
n2mpt
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:55:56 PM »

Forget the 3/8" version.

Larsen makes good NMO mounts. I have been using them for several years. You can also get genuine Motorola mounts from any local two-way shop. I have used both for ham as well as commercial installations.

You don't want to skip on the quality.

Also, do not use a hole saw. Use a 3/8 or 1/2" drill and enlarge the hole with a tapered reamer or, better yet, use a Greenlee 3/4" chassis punch. Either the round, single D or double D will work fine.

I don't know how many hundred holes my punch has put in vehicles over the last 30 years.

Lon
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »

PS,

I can't speak to any other brands, but the Larsen and Motorola mounts are good for any frequency you can get an antenna in that mount.

To clarify on the 3/8" mount, they are not as strong as the 3/4".  That's why you don't see them in commercial installations except for 1/4 wave whips.

Lon
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:10 AM »

Motorola, and probably others, sell an NMO mount that is closer to a 50 ohm match than the standard mounts.  It's identified by having a somewhat smaller contact button and comes with teflon coax instead of the standard RG-58.  It is primarily intended for 800/900MHz installations.  For V/U applications any of them will work fine, and any NMO antenna will mount correctly.  As far as punches vs saws, the saw made for this job is way faster, will remove the paint around the hole assuring a good ground, and doesn't require access to the opposite side to connect the punch die.  The stepped drills work OK but don't remove the paint, and by the time you reach the 3/4" mark on the bit, a lot of it will be on the other side of the hole which may necessitate removal of the headliner or a panel.  There are hole saws made for antenna installation and take all of those things into account.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N2MPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 11:29:55 AM »

folks,

just wanted to drop a note as to where you can order MAXRAD NMO mounts from...

Hutton Communications
Harrisburg PA Office
800-759-3031

i bought a stainless steel NMO mount w/ 17' of LMR195 low loss coax (MAXRAD PN "SMML195-NC") -- very nice setup.

for all the MAXRAD stainless NMO mount info, see
http://www.maxradmobile.com/cgi/images/products/pdf/maxcat63.pdf

for the standard brass NMO mounts, see
http://www.maxradmobile.com/cgi/images/products/pdf/maxcat64-65.pdf

the entire MAXRAD catalog is at
http://www.maxradmobile.com/cgi/images/catalogs/pdf/LMRINTERACTIVECATALOG.pdf

73, jim n2mpt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: