The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short or long Hustler?  (Read 945 times)
WA2TAK

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2004, 06:01:19 PM »

Hi All:

Getting ready to go mobile with my new 706IIg.
Considering a Hustler 20 meter antenna.

Have a question: what performance difference would I expect using the shorter (MO-4) 22 inch mast in place of the 54 inch mast under the resonantor when the base will be attached to the rear car tow hitch?

Welcome suggestions & recommendations etc on other 20 meter setups too (Screwdrivers not considered for the time being).

73 & ride safe,
Steve
WA2TAK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 07:07:43 PM »

The 54" mast works better.  Take it from someone who has both!

Reasons:

-The mast does almost all the "radiating" with these antennas.  The screw-in resonator/whip combination radiates very, very little at really only top-loads the mast to resonance.  Although the "whip" looks like it should be a radiator, it hardly is -- it's there to adjust resonance only.

-The longer the mast, the greater the antenna's bandwidth.  With the 54" mast, an RM20 resonator can cover most of the 20m band with a VSWR = 2.0 or less.  With the 22" mast, you can cover about half that bandwidth before getting out of the car to make a whip length adjustment.  Of course, that could be very good exercise, if the only walking you do is around the car....

-An added benefit: The 54" mast resonates all by itself on six meters, should you ever want to work 6m mobile: Just go ahead and use it, no adjustments required -- and it's pretty good (full sized quarter-wave) on six.

WB2WIK/6
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:28:34 AM »

I used to run a hustler mast and instead of buying all sorts of coils I used just a 15M to cover 15, 17 and 20 meters by using longer whips.  Using about a 3 foot whip on the 15M coil gave me much more SWR bandwidth and a pretty noticeable efficiency boost on 20M.  For details you can read it on my site:

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/mobile/HustlerCoil/coil.html

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: