The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you installed HF in late model '00-'04 Chryls  (Read 1073 times)
K8LEC

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2004, 09:08:53 PM »

I've posted a few times already about ignition noise trouble I've had on my '04 T&C and have tried many of the suggestions from those postings without success.

There are so many Chrysler mini-van's on the road, and I have to believe many hams have successfully set up HF in them.  I'm asking for any ham who has set up an HF setup in a late model 2000-2004 Caravan, T&C or Voyager to share their experience.  Can you please share with me what bonding, shielding, placement of ferrite beads etc... you've done to minimize ignition or other noise from your radio.

I'm trying to install a Comet UHV-6 antenna on the rear tailgate at the top and am getting noise only when the antenna is connected to the rig.  At this point I've bonded everything I can think of including the hood, tailgate, exhaust system in two places, engine and hood.  I have also placed some ferrite beads on all 6 ignition wires and grounded my antenna to the frame.  I'm still getting S8 ignition noise.  Instead at looking at more theory on how to minimize the noise again, which I've done including looking at several websites repeatedly that deal with this issue, I'm simply asking for some real world examples from those who have successfully installed an HF setup and minimized any noise on a late model Chrysler mini-van.  If you can share your experience I'd be very appreciative!!  Thanks in advance and 73!

Lars
K8LEC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 09:48:09 AM »

Lars, what band are you having the noise on? It appears to be 6 meters and above. Is this true?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K8LEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 10:44:44 AM »

I have an 40m coil & 20m coil on my UHV-6.  Those are the bands I have the worst noise.  I can't hear much on 15 and 10, but I don't have those coils on the antenna currently.

Pretty much across the HF spectrum.

Lars
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: