Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy Impala On Glass Antenna Installation  (Read 618 times)
W5RAH

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2004, 11:38:24 PM »

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala and am considering installing an onglass antenna on it.  I have had very good results with the Radio Shack dual band on-glass antennas in the past and stocked up on them when they closed them out for a few bucks each.  Anyway, looking at the rear glass of my car, it is obvious that I cannot install the antenna over the de-icer wires nor the window antenna for the stereo.  However, I noticed several other lines above the de-icer lines that appear to not be associated with the window antenna for the stereo.  Does anyone have any idea if these lines have any qualities to them that would affect the antenna performance?  I have seen several Impalas with on-glass antennas on them and noticed that they were installed above the de-icing wires, but did not get close enough to see exactly how/where the antenna was mounted in relation to the others lines.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Also if anyone has a good clear pic to email to me showing an on-glass installation on an Impala, that would be VERY helpful as well.  Thanks!

Robert W5RAH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:28:38 AM »

Glass mount antennas are rather lossy and don't work much better than a rubber ducky. Mounting them over any kind of defroster wires or antenna wires adds to the losses.

The correct way is to drill a hole and use a good quality NMO dual bander like the Larsen NMO-270.

If you just have to make use of the glass mounts, then use a quarter window or the upper right side of the windshield where it will be clear of the wipers.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: