Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF in 2004 Deville  (Read 421 times)
WW6G

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:12:10 AM »

My dealer would not install a radio and believed that it might interfere with the car's computer.
(1) Does anyone have any experience with late model Devilles and VHF? Any issues?
(2) Does anyone know if there is power available in the trunk or would I need to run a power cord back to the battery. I understand that going directly to the battery is the preferred method, but if it works well, good. If not, I can always run a power cable.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:29:59 PM »

For GM vehicles in particular see:GMNA Engineering Centers' "Radio Telephone / Mobile Radio Installation Guidelines" Dated January 2002 containing "...guidelines for installing a radio telephone or land mobile radio in General Motors vehicles."

http://service.gm.com/techlineinfo/radio.html

also see KB2WIK's posting:

http://www.eham.net/forums/MobileHam/335

among others here.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 06:07:17 AM »

You shouldn't use any pre-installed wiring for a variety of reasons.  

Some manufacturers, including GM, do offer special wiring options for power two-way radios in their vehicles. But even these can cause you headaches if you use them incorrectly.

If you want additional information, read the URLs as suggested by the previous poster, or visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: