Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Hams have a mobile setup in a BMW X5?  (Read 497 times)
KE4OZK

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2002, 10:12:03 AM »

Good day to all.

Although a ham for 8 years, I have recently purchased a Mobile radio primarily for 2m/440 use.  I have a BMW X5 and I am having a very hard time finding a good mobile mount for it, without drilling a hole in the roof.  ANother issue is antenna height.  I have a COmet B10 antenna - it is 12" tall and looks like a cell phone antenna.  This is not a big gain antenna, but it is the only antenna that can fit in my garage without having to get out every time I pull the car in and out.  Old house = small garage door opening.  

I am currently trying a Diamond roof rack mount, but it is too large and the result is that it tends to slide around the roof rack causing the paint to scratch.  

I have looked at the lip mounted antennas in the catalogs, but it does not seem like there is a lip on my car thin enough to accomodate a lip mount.  I would like to try one, but all of the major dealers have a restocking fee.  I don;t want to have to pay shipping twice and a restocking fee if the mount does not work.

I am therefore calling on my fellow hams to see if anyone else has a mobile setup in an X5 and if so, how is it mounted.

Thanks very much in advance for all of your help.

73, Chris KE4OZK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 01:15:02 PM »

Larsen and several others make 144/440 dual band antennas in a variety of mounting styles, even a thru-the-glass one.

If you use the latter and mount it to the windshield, just make sure it is in a spot not covered by the wipers. You shouldn't have to much trouble hiding the coax along or under the A piller trim piece(s).

Alan, KØBG

KE4OZK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 01:58:12 PM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for your suggestion.  I neglected to mention that I had also tried the glass mount route.  I could not get the swr much below 2.5 to 1 and I later discovered that the tinting in the glass prevents the antenna from acting as it is supposed to.  I agree, however, that would be the perfect option.

Thanks again
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 09:00:56 AM »

There are a couple other options...

Lakeview has a licence plate mount, as well as a tow hitch mount. I've used both and they work well on ANY car on any band.

put a hamstick on these and you're ready to go..

Rick - W4PC
2E0FIL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 09:11:50 AM »

Anyone managed to find a practical solution?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: