Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pls. recommend a Great Mag mount 2 meter ant.  (Read 448 times)
KD4RSP

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2004, 04:42:00 AM »

Hello all,

I have been a ham since 1990, but inactive mostly. recently I have been bitten by the bug again, and now I have more time to devote to the hobby I am getting back into the swing of things.

I just purchased a 2 meter mobile rig, Yeasu FT 2600M, and I want to be able to move it easily between my two cars. so I would like a mag mount for now.

IF anyone has any hints/tips on a "Mobile" mobile rig I would apprecitate it, as well as a recommendation for a Great mobile Mag mount 2 meter antenna.

Thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:54:54 AM »

Do yourself a favor and do not use a mag mount.

First, properly installed mobile antennas work much better than "stuck-on" ones. One of the most popular is the Larsen NMO270, dual bander.

Secondly, mag mounts can be dangerous in the event of a crash. In February of this year, a bystander died as a result of being hit by a mag mounted VHF antenna. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:26:16 AM »

If I were going to swap a rig between two vehicles, I would mount a permanent antenna and power cord in each one.  The exercise of removing and reinstalling the antenna will get old quick, and will increase the chances the magnet will damage the surface with frequent removal cycles.  Permanent antennas can be very inexpensive, likely cheaper than a single mag mount.  Eventually you will end up getting two rigs anyway, invariably the rig will be in the wrong one when you want it.  Rigs are cheap enough these days to just get the vehicles outfitted with their own setup.  If you buy two of the same rigs, you won't have to learn two rigs when moving from one vehicle to the other.

If you're bound and determined to use a mag mount, it's pretty hard to screw those up.  I've owned Larsen, Valor and MFJ units and they all worked acceptably well.  I keep mine for use in my ARES go-kit, since you never know what or where you need to set up.  A mag mount makes a good temporary antenna both fixed and mobile.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 01:32:32 PM »

At $30 the MFJ 1728B is hard to beat.  I picked one up for $10 in a scratch and dent section in 1997.  I still use it today mounted on the center of my roof.  Works great on 6 meters too!

73, BJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: