Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tri-mag mount with 60 inch antenna  (Read 341 times)
KD5ZJZ

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2003, 11:42:09 AM »

I have a 60 inch antenna that I want to install on my truck for 70cm/2m/6m, but since I will be taking a trip shortly and I might not have time to do a more permanent installation before the trip, I am considering a tri-mag mount with 5 inch magnets as a temp solution.

Will the tri-mag hold a 60 inch antenna at freeway speeds (assuming I don't hit trees, bridges, birds, etc)?

Thank you.

Taylor
KD5ZJZ
KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 01:01:02 PM »

I used a tri-mag mount to hold up a 20m hamstick on a trip from Michigan to Kansas in July.  I will honestly say that the magnets held at speeds upward of 85mph (I mean it might have Mr. Officer Smiley).  That's not taking into account the additional resistance provided by headlong Kansas/Nebraska winds.  I wouldn't have trusted had I not had the antenna tethered with spiderwire line, and Yakima rack basket on top of my jeep makes it impossible for the magnets to fly off the top without first going through it.  That's my experience only.  One thing that some people have brought up in the past is that some tri-mag mounts do not conform to the shape of the roof, thereby weakening there hold.  Keep that in mind.  Good Luck!!!

73  KCØMDC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 09:25:18 PM »

Mag mounts in general do not provide enough groundplane for HF mobile operation. VHF and UHF perhaps you might not notice the lesser performance compared to proper mounts (drilled holes, etc.). As the previous poster suggested in passing, tether the mount securely (!) and Spider wire IS NOT enough. In case of an accident, un-tethered antennas and mag mounts become flying missiles.

Alan, KØBG

KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 11:47:02 PM »

I know I will get disagreement on this, I have asked Alan for advice in this department before, but I've had nothing but outstanding results when I use the mag-mount.  There are too many variables involved, and too many theories that many will use to indicate otherwise, but I've always had outstanding results with my mag-mount situations.  It doesn't hurt to try.  Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.  Good luck either way.  And yes, anything moving down the road at more than 5 mph will become a missile in the event of an accident, but I still keep a ballpoint pen in the jeep Smiley
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 06:17:47 PM »

Yes, a mount with three, five inch magnets will most assuredly hold a triband 6/2/440 60 inch antenna.  

Cortland
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 04:50:25 AM »

Yes, the tri-mag mount will hold your antenna. Providing there is enough steel for it to stick to. I actually had a car (ford contour) that magnets would not stick to the trunk. I'm currently using a tri-magnet mount to hold a 60M band hamstick antenna and six inch spring with no difficulty. As far as drilling and mounting antennas to your car goes, in a perfect world he's correct. But I wouldn't drill a hole in my car for any reason. Years ago yes, but not anymore. I didn't mind doing the drilling to my car that cost 3,000 new. Now they cost 30,000 and I'm not drilling any holes in it. Of course, if you are rich....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: