Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-150. Opinions?  (Read 441 times)
ATLMAGIC

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2002, 01:51:50 PM »

I'd like to get my first radio and I see that the vx150 is in my price range right now. Would this be a good "starter" radio for 2 meter?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 05:46:17 PM »

I think any "handie-talkie" is an awful investment, if it's going to be your only piece of ham radio equipment; however, if you're looking for an "HT" anyway, the VX-150 is a great choice in terms of "bang for the buck."

I didn't need another two meter handie at all, but saw the VX-150 on sale for $139 last February and just couldn't resist snapping one up, figuring at that price they may never come back.  I was wrong.  They're still very available, still at a low price, and still work great.  I'm extremely pleased with mine.  For all-out "two meter only" performance, it's impressive, and runs rings around my "multi-band" handies.

WB2WIK/6
ATLMAGIC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 08:33:49 PM »

After checking the comments on this board I picked one up today.119.00

Not bad and "Momma" didnt mind the cost of the new toy.
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 06:08:17 AM »

I've got two VX-150's now and highly recommend it. It's
one tough built radio and you can obtain a higher
capacity battery (1650mAh), FNB-V57x, from
www.batteriesamerica.com for about $40.
K2EPM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 10:29:31 AM »

I had one of these for two years. For the price, you can't get a better radio! It was easy to use, worked great, is sturdy, and I loved it.

I did sell it to get a VX-7R, but that is like comparing a Chevy Caprice to a Rolls Royce. You can't go wrong with the VX-150 for a 2M rig!

I also had the ADMS software, and it made programming a bit easier if you are going to put a lot of frequencies in the memory.

I did buy the AA dry-cell case (OUCH), they got me for over $40 for that case!
N2JLL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 01:04:53 PM »

You cannot go wrong with this one.  IMHO, this is the best built HT since the Icom 02-AT was discontinued.
KE7AGI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 01:30:14 AM »

This was my first radio, and I was impressed by how rugged it is.  Also got lots of compliments on the sound quality.

The FT-60R looks like it might be intended as a dual-band version of the VX-150.  There is certainly a family resemblance that doesn't exist with other Yaesu HTs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: