The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting FT-8800r in a 1991 Nissan Maxima  (Read 924 times)
KC7WSU

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:31:52 PM »

I have a nissan maxima and I am wondering if there is any way possible to get a mount that would allow me to take out my useless spacer below my stock radio and put in something to hold my ft-8800r. If not, any ideas on how to mount it so that it will be secure.  I really would like to get rid of the spacer.

Regards,

Chris
KC7WSU
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 06:28:54 AM »

I'm not aware how you 'get' a mount, anytime I've done custom installations like that I've had to make my own.  But it's not terribly difficult and I think the results are worth the effort.  One exeption might be if the space can accomodate a DIN stereo mount.  In that case any stereo shop has the hardware and you can adapt your radio to fit outside the vehicle, then just slide it into place.  Otherwise you'll need miscellaneous angle brackets and hardware, and for filling in gaps around the radio I make bezels out of black expanded PVC sheet.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 06:46:59 AM »

The only caveat is heat. The DIN slot in some cars is an enclosed shelf, or at best the rear is open. With some high powered radios and long winded talkers, you could over heat the radio.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 06:50:53 AM »

The only caveat is heat. The DIN slot in some cars is an enclosed shelf, or at best the rear is open. With some high powered radios and long winded talkers, you could over heat the radio.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4ZIO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »

If I am not mistaken you can sepearte the faceplate from the radio for mounting. I would thenk you might be able to mount the faceplate in the DIN slot and mount the body of the radio under the passenger seat.
KC7WSU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 08:12:33 AM »

thanks everybody.  I think I got it figured out.  thanks for all your thoughts.

Regards,

Chris
KC7WSU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: