The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF power in a RAV4  (Read 950 times)
W4JTP

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2004, 08:37:36 AM »

I just bought an '01 Toyota RAV4, and would like to run some cable from the battery for mobile HF.  An afternoon of searching revealed no obvious (i.e. easy) ways through the firewall.

I'd prefer not to drill a new hole in the firewall, but if push comes to shove....

Anybody have any experience/suggestions?

TNX es 73
Jim W4JTP
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 09:19:47 AM »

Drill the hole.  I use the technique of dimpling the metal with a punch and looking at the other side to make sure where the dimple appears is far enough away from surrounding objects.  A 3/8" bit works well, along with a grommet.  Add some silicone when you're done for a waterproof seal.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 03:43:20 PM »

While I agree with Mark, depending on the size of wire you use, the hole size may have to be larger. I never rely on the factory cabling to supply power directly to the battery as it is seldom large enough, which results in low voltage at the back of the radio. This can and does cause problems especially if you try to operate with out the engine running.

Secondly, you haven't looked long enough. There is indeed a hole thru the firewall. Look above the accelerator pedal. You may have to pull the carpet out of the way.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 11:16:06 AM »

I had a 96 RAV4 and it was set up so that under the rug on the passenger side there was a grommet that poked through right under the battery. Might look under there.

I'll tell you it was a damned site easier than other places I have had to crawl around for access!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: