The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whip too tall  (Read 863 times)
KC7DJI

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

Does anyone know where I might find an adapert to install between my antenna mount and my antenna (239 I think) that will allow me to quick disconnect and/or lay over?

My whip is way too tall for my garage and I'm sick of unscrewing this thing over and over.

Thanks in advance.
KC7DJI
N6PUO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:12:20 PM »

Hustler makes an excellent quick disconnect in stainless, the QD-2 @ $22.00 .  I have 2 of them & am not sorry I bought them.

They also have some fold over masts, MO-1 & MO-2 @ $34.00 each.  Don't know the quality on those.

Greg.....N6PUO
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 05:28:29 AM »

Greg,

All the items you mention are for 3/8 x 24 thread. They won't work on a UHF/SO-239 mount.

Since the poster didn't say what specific antenna he has, it's a little hard to give any helpful advice.

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »

Scott, I have never seen a quick disconnect for a 239 equipped antenna. There might be one, but I'd bet it isn't very sturdy. This is the main reason most folks opt for an NMO mounted antenna as the mount is waterproof and heck for stout.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 06:12:22 AM »

Scott:

I agree with Alan. I have never seen a 239 foldover either. For that matter, I have never seen a foldover for an NMO mount, either. Virtually all foldovers are between the mount and the antenna, and are designed for 3/8 x24 thread antennas.

Depending upon what specific antenna you have, it might be possible to put a weak spring from an A/S antenna or a Radio Shack base-loaded CB antenna between the base section of the antenna and the whip.

How tall is the antenna and how short is your garage door? Unless you are talking about less than two feet clearance, just let the antenna bend. I do this all the time on my minivan and airport parking. My Larsens are several years old and have yet suffer any damage from this. Of course, if you have an antenna where the whip does not flex, you are out of luck.

Lon

K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:12:13 AM »

If it is a VHF/UHF antenna (I'm guessing since you did not specify) some manufacturers, such as Comet, make antennas with a built-in "foldover" feature. If you're not absolutely in love with the antenna you have now you may want to consider one of these.

73, Vince K4JC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: