Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 Dodge Caravan ECM Location  (Read 2448 times)
NZ0T

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:26:21 AM »

More Caravan questions - specifically where is the ECM located?  Is it in the right side kick panel like most vehicles or somewhere else?  I want to avoid running any coax or power wiring anywhere near it!

The good news is that the vehicle seems pretty HF quiet.  With a temporary lashup of an Outbacker, mag mount, and the 706 powered by the 12 volt outlet on the dash there was a minimal amount of noise that the NB took out completely.  Once I have a properly grounded antenna and I bond the body panels/tailpipe/etc it should be a good quiet HF platform.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 08:20:35 AM »

A typical vehicle with a typical installation, it isn't the ECU (EEC or ICM) you have to worry about (it is shielded very well!). It's the ancillary equipment like the ABS controller, the stereo amplifier that is always on, the navi unit, traction control unit, and a few others. You can add windshield wiper controller to the list because it is a Chrysler product.

With proper wiring, proper bonding, and proper antenna mounting, you're not going to have too much trouble.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:42:29 PM »

<<  and the 706 powered by the 12 volt outlet on the dash >>

You will, of course, be connecting the radio directly to the battery, won't you? Those power ports were never designed to run 100w radios from - or 50w radios, for that matter.

Lon
NZ0T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 03:43:11 PM »

Of course I'm going to go direct to the battery!  It was a temporary lash up and I was just commenting on the suprising lack of noise.  I'm also going to bond all body panels and the exhaust system.  I plan to ground the rig and I will make sure the antenna is grounded properly - the lip mount won't provide enough grounding by itself.

I just was hoping someone would know what areas of a 2005 Caravan should be avoided when running coax and 12 volt supply line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: