The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna whistle  (Read 1557 times)
WA2TAK

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »

Anyone have whip whistle annoyance from trunk mounted open coil VHF/UHF whips?

Seems like an open coil whip attached to car glass can be annoying ( per previous posts ).

I'd like to get Radiall Larsen model NMO2/70B because its black but it has the open coil whereas the closed coil version is chrome.

Tnx,
Steve
WA2TAK

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »

I use a Larsen NMO270 and I do not have any whistle of any kind and it is an open coil. It works well with my IC706.

If you want to keep what you have, then I suggest you use some silicon model airplane gas line available from most hobby shops. It is available in several different diameters, and will slip over most masts.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB3BCH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:30:50 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't have anything constructive to add.   However, I recently started using hamsticks on a tri-mag mount, and it doesn't just whistle, it sounds like a choir on my roof.  

I have a short little 144/440 dual-bander antenna which doesn't produce any noticeable whistling (obviously, smaller profile less noise).  
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 03:19:22 AM »

I have had the the same problem with open coil whips.  In some cases, putting a piece of shrink tubing over the coil, along with a little retuning, has solved the problem.

Dennis / KG4RUL
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:03:29 AM »

Steve:

My 270NMOB did not whistle in the middle of the trunk deck on a sedan nor on my old Windstar. On the Windstar, it was on a bracket fastened to the luggage rack and was about 20 degrees off vertical.

On my new Windstar it is vertical in the middle of the roof above the dome light and it whistles about fifty percent of the time. Go figure!

Lon
N3QT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 09:15:48 PM »

Howdy:

Try a piece of shrink wrap over the open coil.  This "adjustment" works well for cell phone applications where "... the most picky customers" have "issues"..
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 07:59:45 AM »

I agree on the shrink tubing on the coil.  An old trick from my cellular days.  When that didn't work, we also had good luck wedging a piece of black anti-static foam (like microchips come embedded in) into the center of the coil.

Good luck.

Terry, WØFM
KC2JCQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 10:47:48 PM »

I have the same antenna. I just filled it up with bondo, sanded it smooth and spray-painted it black. I have not noticed any change in performance.
jamo
jamo344224@aol.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: