Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital LCD Readout DC Voltmeter  (Read 575 times)
KD7WWR

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2005, 08:12:32 PM »

Friends,

I'm looking for a simple 2-wire 12VDC Voltmeter to display battery power.  Red, blue, or green display would be preferable.  Something just like a number readout.

Anyone have one of these that they have flush-mounted in a vehicle?

Also, if anyone is interested, I have pictures of the 2002 Toyota Tundra IC-208H installation.  It took me about 10 hours, but it looks very nice.  Rigrunner 4005 is in the bottom of the center console, out of sight.

Ben, KD7WWR
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 09:17:45 PM »

Since it's an automotive application, check auto supply stores- Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Checker, etc.  Also the likes of JC Whitney would carry such gauges.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 06:53:46 AM »

If you look on Digi-Key's web site, you'll find what you are looking for. The part number is 227-1042-ND and sells for $34.04 each. However, this meter is not lighted and is difficult to see at night. I ended up using a  meter I purchased from Checker Auto Parts for $12.  I replaced the 12V bulb with a white LED and it works like a champ. I hide the meter in the center console.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 09:02:16 AM »

As an aside, I *did* buy an illuminated green LCD meter from digikey for my electric car but aside from the cost, about $50, it didn't work that well in an automotive application.  In bright sunlight it got washed out and you couldn't see it, and at night it was too bright, and was all or nothing for illumination (couldn't hook it up to the dimmer circuit).  What I ended up doing was using an analog meter movement made to look like a factory gauge which could then take advantage of the stock dash lamps at night, and was easily visible in daylight.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 11:37:35 AM »

Check out DATEL.COM they actually make LED and LCD meters including "two wire" DC voltmeters that run from the same voltage supply they are measuring.

<http://store.datel.com/cgi-bin/datel.storefront/41d99e0b00dcdde4271d0c9f894206da/Catalog>

That page is their "storefront", all one URL  no spaces. They make several LED, LCD, and backlighted LCD options in the four-digit displays rated for a nominal 20VDC, so they'll show 14.42 volts, etc. Not cheap--but I haven't found any other source for a SMALL display that has similar specs & parameters.
N2MPT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 08:30:14 AM »

lascar has some nice backlit LCD's.  

http://www.lascarelectronics.com/products.cfm?area=2&attribute=a&CFID=4576393&CFTOKEN=20888968
see page 2 as well.

to reiterate a comment made above... be sure to get a model that allows you to measure the voltage from the same source as the supply voltage.  this is not the case with the typical inexpensive "DMM" modules; they are set up to use a battery (i.e., an isolated power source) and can not measure the supply voltage directly.

jim /n2mpt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: