Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu ATAS 120 longer whip  (Read 1907 times)
W0MU

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:53:42 PM »

I was curious if anyone else had tried a longer whip with the ATAS system?  I just purchased a 64 inch whip that larsen makes and replaced the shorter whip that came with the ATAS.  I had to carefully drill out the opening.  

I don't know how much difference it will make in the long run.  

Mike
W0MU
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 05:17:08 PM »

Mike, not much to be honest. Installing a good sized tophat would work better, but the ATAS's coil is where most of the loss is.

Within reason, length and size matters, and so does the method and position of mounting. Typical ATAS users buy the antenna because it is light weight, and thus can be easily mounted on a trunk lip mount. Although adding to the length does help, remounting the antenna higher up on the vehicle probably would have helped more.

Alan, KØBG

W0MU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 11:13:57 PM »

It is mounted on the top of the tool shell on the ladder rack.  It is as high on the truck as possible.  

Mike
W0MU
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 11:15:45 AM »

Height is good, but mounting an antenna on an extension pole or pipe racks may not be. As I said before, size matters.

Alan, KØBG

KL4E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 11:42:36 PM »

My question is slightly different.  The published specs for the ATAS 120 are only down to 40 meters.  Will it load on 75 meters as is?  I also was thinking about using a longer whip, such as the classic 108" CB whip in a drilled out ATAS socket to make this work.  Or using a wire and cliplead setup for fixed location mobile ops.  Any experience or comments in these areas?  Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: