Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-W32A  (Read 369 times)
KB2STE

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2005, 06:20:01 PM »

Hi,
   I recently obtained an Icom IC-W32A from a friend.  It was working fine, other than the battery (BP-173) not holding a charge very long.  I have tested the output of the battery, and it says just about 9.6 volts.  When I turn on the radio, the voltage display says 4.5V, and the display looks like the contrast is turned all the way up on everything.  You can view the display correctly if you tilt the radio.  The radio receives fine, and after a while of receiving, the display goes back to normal, and can be viewed fine.  The radio only transmits short distances, and I can't bring up a local machine that I was able to before.  I have verified it is transmitting by using a scanner to monitor the frequency I was on.  I tried connecting to an external power source (Car Cord), and the radio did the same thing.  Could this just be a simple case of a bad battery pack, or something more.  Can the radio be used with an external source without the battery pack, or does it need it connected to work.  I have and htx202, and htx404, but have not had much experience with the Icom.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks and 73's
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:06:32 PM »

I suspect the battery is indeed bad. The mobile cord just charges the battery, and doesn't power the radio per se. Batteries are not too expensive, and the battery man (see any QST) has them in stock.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: