Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 02F150 Install in radio slot?  (Read 501 times)
KG6YKL

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:58:11 PM »

I am planning to put a mobile into my 02 F150.  I'd like to pull out the double din factory radio and install a 2m/6m mobile and aftermarket stereo receiver.  I have a bunch of work for myself yet like, what radios will physically fit.  But, I also wanted to get some technical feedback.  Is the proximity in the dash and/or to stereo an issue?

Anybody done a similar install?  Any photos?

Thanks,
KG6YKL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 07:27:03 AM »

The biggest problem you're going to have is heat related. While lots of folks install radios into DIN slots and get by with it, it is not an ideal location. This is especially true if you run a high power rig.

As for size, there are dozens of different radios which will fit. Just choose one that fits your needs.

If you do a good install, you want have any interference problems.

I do have some information on my web site you might want to read.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:18:48 AM »

The only other thing you may want to make sure of is the grounding or 'bonding' of the chassis to a metal part of the vehicle.  All too often the dash panels of today's vehicles are made of plastic or composite materials.  On the off chance the two radios (the stereo and the rig) should interact or you find yourself with excess noise on the rig, grounding the rig chassis to the vehicle may solve that problem.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 06:23:56 AM »

BTW, to take care of heat, I have used a 12 volt pancake fan, the type you find in computers for ventilation, to move the air around under the dash.  I've wired the fan to the switched side of the ignition so it will run when the key is on, but you can use a switch and an indicator light if you need to (if you run mobile with the engine off).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: