Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asian or US handheld version  (Read 405 times)
CALMGUY

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:49:34 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was general licensed as a teen, but let it go.  Now at 56 I want to sail the world, so I'm almost relicensed again.

I want to buy the ICOM T90 VHF/UHF multiband FM transeiver (to play around with, and re-learn the bands etc while I have 5 months left doing medical work in Afghanistan), but don't know if I want the US version (with blocked cellular, and 430-450MHz coverage), or the Asian version (no cell blocking, but only 430-440).

And what I really don't know, is this:

Not having been on these bands for many years...what really is going on between 440 and 450?  Is it something I would like to have?

Whats the value of not having cell blocking?  Could I actually make cell calls?

Michael
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 06:10:00 AM »

In the US, most of the repeater coverage is in the high part of the band. So I would say the US version, especially since you plan on using it everywhere. You should also get at least your General class, as you'll want HF coverage as well. Icom makes the IC706 which has coverage from 160 through 450, wide band receive, and all modes. There is even an auto coupler (AH-4) which can be used to tune a backstay from at least 40 through 6, if not 80 through 6. SGC makes one that will do 160 through 6 is the stay is over 45 feet in length.

Welcome back.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:00:40 AM »

A "cell blocked"  radio means that the microprocessor is blocked in such a way that you cannot RECEIVE   cell calls   in the receiver range ot the radio--which means the "old"  analogue   800xx  mhz area.   None of these radios will receive any digital calls.

The radio will not transmit on the cell band,  and you cannot "make" cell calls.

In the US,  receiving cell calls is now illegal, and there's not much up there to hear anyway.

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:20:41 AM »

I agree with Alan:  go for the U.S. version.  440-450MHz is the repeater and FM simplex portion of the band in the U.S.  430-440MHz is used for terrestrail weak signal work (SSB/CW/digital) and satellites, among other things.

Caity
K7VO/8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: