Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who makes custom mobile mounting brackets?  (Read 460 times)
WA9PIE

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2004, 12:33:06 AM »

Folks,

I need to find someone who can make a custom bracket for me so that I can get my HF antenna on my new Chevy Avalanche.  It is a no-holes design and is created for the any of the larger-frame Chevy trucks (Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado, Tahoe).

You can see the drawing at:

http://www.wa9pie.net/ham/mobile_antenna_bracket.htm

Any leads would be appreciated.

Mike, WA9PIE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:02:04 AM »

Making the bracket out of 304 S will cost you a fortune as welding SS takes special equipment, and the material itself is expensive. If you make it out of mild steel just about any machine shop could weld it.

Fact is, there are several companies out there making similar brackets and a search of the net should yield one close to your QTH.

Alan, KØBG

WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:06:40 PM »

Will mild steel rust?

304 stainless was recommended by one of the antenna manufacturers I spoke to.

I see these things at Dayton every year, but there never seems to be anyone offering to make them.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:28:15 PM »

I bought a stick welder a few years ago for a project and found it so handy to have around, I whip up brackets and frames all the time now.  They're not that expensive either, Home Depot even sells them.  Steel's good enough for your vehicle's frame, not too many people worried about those rusting out. The vehicle will have long been used up and crushed before steel tubing that size will rust to the point of not supporting an antenna anymore.  The solution to corrosion for a bracket like this is pretty basic,  a $5 can of Krylon does a great job.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K4IA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:32:35 AM »

On April 19, I am unable to access your web page to see the bracket.
W6SZG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 11:01:16 PM »

I am looking at the same truck and problem.  But you can't see the design at the web address you have posted.  W6SZG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: