Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Remove Glass Mount Antenna  (Read 3816 times)
FORMER_KY8T

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2004, 10:40:23 PM »

I need to remove a glass mount antenna.  What is the best way to do that?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:41:10 AM »

Everyone that I've seen used double sided sticky foam to attach it to the glass.  A single-edge razor blade should have it off in short order.  In my experience, automatic car washes worked pretty well too.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
RADIOHEAD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 01:18:03 AM »

The last time I removed a glass mounted antenna I used dental floss it worked great. I did this when the glass was nice and warm after the car was parked out in the sun for a while.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 09:08:33 AM »

Goof Off is a product designed to remove dried paint from non-porous surfaces. One or two drops is all it takes and the antenna will almost fall off in your hands. Goof Off will also clean the remaining tape and adhesive off the glass.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 01:05:33 AM »

Dental floss, piano wire, or fishing line (the Spectra stuff aka "spider wire" is incredibly strong) will cut the adhesive tape. Wrap it around two pens or sticks and just saw back and forth aggressively. Then any commercial adhesive remover will take off the rest of the tape.

Assuming it was attached with double-sided tape, not glued on like a rearview mirror. If it was glued...ask Loctite what they use to remove that kind of adhesive, they make both products.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 01:25:35 AM »

If you have any glue residue left, WD-40 removes it, althuogh you'll probably need glass cleaner afterwards to remove the WD-40.
RADIOHEAD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 07:29:25 PM »

If it is glued on like a rearview mirror I have found that acitone works well. I've also used it to remove super glue effortlessly.
RADIOHEAD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 07:29:51 PM »

If it is glued on like a rearview mirror I have found that acitone works well. I've also used it to remove super glue effortlessly.
W3NRL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 05:24:16 PM »

Acetone works great, just get a ball of cotton and put some acetone and apply a good amount next to the antenna on both sides, the antenna will drop off.
good luck
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 07:58:06 PM »

Be careful with that acetone--it also removes paint, and rather quickly too!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 08:54:37 AM »

I'd let a 4 year old kid have a go at it.  They can undo just about anything.

Terry, WØFM
KA9DFI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 10:33:58 AM »

I removed the antenna. Is there anyway I can stick it back on. Keep in mind, I need new adhesive. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...thanks, mike/ka9dfi
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 10:42:03 AM »

If the glass is flat, get a mirror remounting kit. Loctite or other brand name. It's a two-part adhesive and primer similar to crazy glue but made for better bonding. I think they may have something similar in a larger size under the product name "Depend".

If it isn't flat, or you don't want forever, try 3M's exterior grade structural mounting tape. Double-sided rubber/foam tape, again better than the usual quality. From hardware or electrical stores, probably $7? the roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: