Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honda element ham radio wiring  (Read 1826 times)
K3FOR

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2003, 08:44:51 PM »

I purchased a 2003 Honda Element and am wiring a Kenwood TM-D700, Icom 706IIG, Garmin 12XL GPS (dash mount), and Jensen Sirius satellite radio.  Already in are the GPS patch, dual-band mag mount and tow hitch for Hi Sierra screwdriver.

Anyone with experience - I'd appreciate hearing from you.  In exchange, I can share knowledge on wiring a '93 Honda Accord, '90 Isuzu Trooper, '96 Plymouth Grand Voyager (Dodge Grand Caravan.)

Thanks and 73's,
Skip/K3FOR
Annapolis, MD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 09:18:50 AM »

Sounds like you got it covered. But how do you like the Element? My wife drove one and didn't like it. Her comment was, lots of room, lots of thing to like, but not a lot of power.

Alan, KØBG

KX5F

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 04:16:56 PM »

I have a 02 Honda CRV, which I have a 2 meter radio and also HF Radio,  I had to drill a hole through the firewall, there is a knock-out where the clutch petal goes thru the firewall, (if yours is a automatic) there I ran the coax, and power leads vhf&HF to the interior, I am using a yaesu FT-1500 radio in the bottom shelf space, and use a yaesu FT-900cat for HF.  Have had good results with both, use a Comet rs-720 antenna mount on the hood for vhf. have not had any problems transmitting on either band, put both power leads directly on the battery.  73s Pat
KE8YY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 11:27:23 AM »

I just spent a weekend trying to find a route for antenna and power wire, including some existing cable routes. Never thought of the clutch knock out! Excellent idea. I'll try that this weekend. What kind of sealing or grommets did you use? And did you go straight to the battery, or to the fuse block?
W7CO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 01:13:11 AM »

Pat,

I have a new 2004 CR-V.  I put a little FT 90R in the bottom compartment.  I can even close the cabinet.  Ran the pwr through the firewall in the manner you noted.  Have antenna on glass for VHF.  I would have a problem putting an HF antenna on the rig.  What did you do?

Mike W7CO
KD5UCB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 10:29:19 PM »

I installed my 2meter rig in front of the cupholders.  I used angle brackets from the hardware store, and bolted them to some metal under the cupholder assembly.  See pics at http://www.neodium.com/photos/?Album=My_Photos\Element%20Ham%20Radio

They show it better than I could describe it.

--Tim
  N5NMT
KC2FNU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 08:10:07 PM »

It took me awhile to find the clutch knockout.  It is about 3/4" big and is below the steering column behind the carpet and foam padding.  Pull it out with a flat tipped screwdriver.  There are 2 knockouts in the foam padding, but those are not for this firewall knockout.  You need to actually pull the padding away from the side.  On the engine side, the knockout leads right this chrome color part, which I think it part of the suspension, but I am not sure.  You can't miss it once you start poking the wires through it.  It is easy to access when looking through the front drivers side wheel well.  One important thing to note is that it is a must that you use wire loom and a rubber grommet to protect the wires.  You can get the wire loom and the gasket at Home Depot or partsexpress.com.  I have a 2004 Honda CR-V EX.  You can contact me with any questions.  I am installing leds, strobes, a Kenwood TM-V7A ham radio, a scanner and even a computer believe it or not.  I took out the center table and got a Havis Shields C-1800 18" Police type radio console.  You order the custom brackets for each item you are installing, so it all fits perfectly.  One note is that you need the 6" bail bracket univeral mounting kit for the console to be at the height of the previous table that was there.  I used http://www.rimindustries.com to buy the console.  It is not listed on their site so you have to call them.  The company is great and their prices are very fair.
KG6ZSL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 08:20:32 PM »

I have a Plymouth Voyager and I am trying to locate a wire harness that I can pull the power thru for my radio.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Eric
KG6ZSL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: