Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in a Jeep Grand Cherokee  (Read 396 times)
AE1C

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »

Anyone have any experience running HF mobile in a JGC?
I'd like to hear anyone's feedback on EMI / RFI issues, antenna type,mount, location etc. I'm only planning on running 100w.
KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »

I haven't used HF in a Grand Cherokee, but I have in my Liberty.  I used a pretty basic setup a few times during long drives from Michigan to Kansas, and without any issues as well.

I used a 706MkIIG, a manual tuner, and a mag-mounted hamstick (triple magnets mounted between my cargo basket and the roof, wasn't going anywhere even if the magnets would have released from the roof).  I never ran more than 100W and never had any interference with the Jeep systems.

Good luck!!

73 de Tim, KCØMDC
KV1Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:08 PM »

It depends on the engine and the year. I was just at the dealers this morning getting an oil change and getting a lesson on the electronics in the car.

First, let me say that I have found this 2004 jeep with the 6 cylinder to have more RF noise than any other I have been involved with.

Some items for you to know:

1. UHF and VHF works like a champ right out of the box.
2. HF is a different beast altogether.
3. The spark plugs are resistive, this is good news.
4. This particular car does not have spark plug wires. It has a coil for each spark plug mounted directly above it. There is no way to mount ferrite beads. These coils are noisy.
5. For HP you will need to put a ground strap between the rear hatch and the body of the car.
6. I suggest ferrite beads on the wires going to the injectors.
7. I suggest ferrite beads on the Alternator.
I also put in a power line filter near the radio on the hot side of the power cable. In truth I do not believe this helped but it did not hurt.
8. I put a ferrite bead on the antenna cable also. I question whether this helped but it did not hurt.

I have installed a 706 MKIIG. Let me know how you make out.

John
K5UO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 04:23:30 AM »

I am running a Yaesu FT-100D and ATAS antenna in a 2003 Grand Cherokee, V8 and have not had any problems at all. I chose the FT-100D over my existing IC-730 old mobile rig due to problems in mounting  the IC-730. (too big!) I have the remote/detachable  head mounted on the center console and the radio sidemounted in the rear compartment.
The ATAS is mounted, using a Comet mount, on the rear hatch 'lip'. I have run an independent ground wire to the frame from the mount. ATAS antennas are ground hungry and the Comet mount attachment was an inadequate ground.
I have a Palm Pilot key mounted with tie-wraps on the brake handle. Brake handle is still useful.
No noise problems (knock on wood.)
AE1C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »

I've narrowed some of my noise problems down to the in tank fuel pump on my '99 JGC. Does anyone know if Jeep has an in tank filter like both Ford and GM offer? Has anyone solved this another way?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: