Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need GeoTool Delrin Insulator  (Read 445 times)
KS4L

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2005, 06:26:56 PM »

I've been trying to contact Rick at GeoTool to purchase his delrin mobile antenna insulator, but no luck - e-mail or phone.  Anybody got one of these insulators that is excess to their needs?

Randy, KS4L
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 06:49:46 PM »

You might contact Bob Lewis, AA4PB (his e-mail is in his profile) and ask him. Or check his web site; www.ham-kits.com

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KS4L

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 06:47:40 AM »

Thanks, Alan.  Bob responded with a recommendation to have one of these made locally.  I'll look into that and keep trying to reach Rick.

By the way, your website is amazingly helpful in getting an HF mobile setup going!  Thanks!

Randy
KS4L

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 08:20:21 AM »

Alan,

I should ask you if you think I'll need this hefty insulator for my setup.  I'm going to be running around 50-70 w. feeding a 102" whip from an SG-237 antenna coupler.  I think the feed from the SG-237 to the whip connection will turn out to be around 6"-8".  The whip will be supported by a 12" piece of aluminum U-channel attached to the plastic rear bumper of my Honda CR-V.   The SG-237 will be mounted inside the bumper with the feed line going through the bumper to the whip.

I have a 3/8"-24 insulated mount that I probably got from Radio Shack (used for a Ham Stick several years ago).  Any chance this would be sufficient for 50-70w. output?  It seemed to work fine with the HamStick.

Thanks es 73!

Randy
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:31:31 AM »

Randy, that depends on several factors. Personally, I'd use something more substantial. The reason I say this is simple. If the humidity is high, or you're in a light rain, you'll arc over the best of mounts even with 100 watts.

You can make an insulator easy enough if you have access to a drill press. I found 3/8x24 inserts at Ace hardware for $2 each. They are threaded 5/8x 16 on the outside as I recall. Drill the right sized hole, and you can turn them in without using a thread die first. Just screw a 3/8x24 bolt with a jam nut into the insert. With a little effort, you're in like Flynn. The inserts can be pinned to keep them from turning back out. The two inch Delrin rod can be purchased from a variety of sources.

Or if you can find one of the old GE mounts, they'll handle 100 watts through the coupler no problem.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:26:08 AM »

I might add that Delrin is machinable stuff. If you get a piece of Delrin rod cut to the right length you can drill and tap the holes directly. Rick added inserts to his but my original did not have inserts and is still going strong after several years. I use a Hustler quick disconnect so that I can remove the whip without having to unscrew anything from the Delrin which might, over time, cause the threads to become loose.
KS4L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »

I found delrin rods at Aircraft Spruce.  A friend drilled and tapped the holes.  So that part is done.  

Now I have to get the SGC-237 installed in my Honda CR-V.  I'm going to start a new thread about that!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Randy, KS4L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: