Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: magnetic antenna & car protection  (Read 431 times)
K3ZXP

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2005, 12:03:36 PM »

Any body have any good suggestions on how to protect a car finish from a magnetic antenna? I am going on a car trip and need to protect my wife's car finish.

Thanks,

Dave
k3zxp
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:34:22 PM »

The best way is not to put one on her car in the first place.

The second best way is a piece of SaranWrap(r) between the mount and whatever surface you put the antenna on. Use only ONE thickness because any separation between the magnet and the metal surface decreases the magnet's holding power and increases the possibility of the mount detaching from the vehicle in a panic stop. I trust this is a small antenna.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:17:43 PM »

I'm with Lon on this, but somewhat more adamantly. Read my post on the next newer message on this forum. Or, read my article on Antennas posted on my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K6IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:55:06 AM »

The better (Larsen?) magnet antenna mount bases have a thin vinyl-type coating on the magnet base to protect the vehicle's paint.  Make sure the paint surface is clean of dust and grit.
I found that by inserting any other thin sheet object (plastic wrap, paper, etc.) between the magnet and the paint noticeably increased the VSWR of the antenna, compared to what it was pre-insertion.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:52:31 PM »

Put a good coat of wax on the top of the car under the
mag mount antenna.
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »

There's no way to guarantee that the antenna won't mar the finish.  I've even tried the Saran Wrap trick and still got indentations in the paint.

Here are the various options.  Top one is best, following that they get lower in usefulness.

1) Own a car that's old enough that you don't care about the paint
2) Own a car that's at least three years old.  The paint continues to harden as it ages
3) Use a bumper mount
4) Use an inside antenna

AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: