Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need antenna advice! HELP !  (Read 349 times)
SANVA

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:39:52 PM »

Hey , New to ham, and completely ignorant when it comes to electronics. Got that out of the way, now what I need help with. Just purchased a Icom IC-229-h off of e-bay, haven't even got it yet, but need to purchase an antenna. From what I've learned on here so far I'm leaning toward a Larsen, 3/4" NMO. I will be mounting it on my old 86 Bronco II and would like to use an existing hole ( old CB antenna hole) in the cowl between hood and windshield on the drivers side, which is exactly opposite the radio antenna on the passenger side. Is this a suitable location? I live in the mountains of Southwest VA with elevations of 1500 to 4000 ft, which antenna would be best a 1/4,1/2, or 5/8ths wave? Sorry to be so long winded, and will greatly appreciate any help! Thanks, Sammy.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 07:45:56 PM »

The mount, and location are fine.

You could run either a quarter wave or 5/8ths, the difference in performance is usually not discernable, but  the price between them is.  The quarter wave isn't as likely to get sucked off in the car wash, but the 5/8 is closer to matching the length of the BCB antenna on the other side.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »

Use the hole and enjoy the new rig! Just make sure to clean any rust off the underside of the hole before you install the new mount.

73 and Welcome Aboard,

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
KC0CDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 06:51:12 AM »

I don't remember where I saw it but there was a good post about gain antennas vs. unity (no gain) antennas or otherwise comparing 5/8~ to 1/4~
basically a 1/4 wavelength antenna with low or no gain will have a higher angle of radiation-better in mountain areas where repeaters are higher up than you.  A 5/8 wavelength will have better radiation towards the horizon which would be helpful in places like Minnesota (oh hey- where I live!) or other flat areas. I'll see if i can find that post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: