Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YL looking for dual band radio advice  (Read 553 times)
KB1KRJ

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »

I am in the market for a dual band radio where I can receive on one band and transmit on another. I have looked into the IC2720, but I think it has too much negative press regarding intermode. Been looking at Yaesu and Kenwoods. I often get complaints that my voice is not loud enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73!
KB1KRJ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 05:49:58 AM »

Once again, purchase the radio that meets YOUR needs, not the needs of others! And don't put too much stock into what others say about any particular radio's attributes. Go to your nearest dealer and decide for yourself.

Crossband repeat has its function in amateur radio. However, you have to be very careful how you use it, and most importantly IDing it as requied by the FCC R&R. Read the R&Rs.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:42:33 PM »

I suggest you compare all of the dual-receive dual band mobiles against each other. You can find the spec's and the manuals for the kenwood, icom and yaesu on the web so you can actually see what it is like to operate them. I am not sure if the Alinco manuals are available online but they have a dual receive dual bander available also. One advantage of the Kenwood over the others, is that the alphanumeric tags are displayed simultaneously with the frequency, rather than alternately on the others. Consider buying the software and cable to allow you to program the radio from a PC. Very useful with lots of memories. I have an FT8900,which I won as a hamfest prize, and I use the ARRL Repeater directory software to create a list of repeaters to load into the radio programming software, edit the list and then dump it into the radio. It makes the radio a lot more useful. if I were buying now, I would buy a G708 or a FT8800 probably. I ruled out the Icom due to the inexplicable lack of alphanumeric tags. Otherwise the radio seems very nice and I prefer the Icom programming style to the Yaesu style.

Whichever radio you get, get familiar with it in the house and get it programmed before installing it in the car. Keep the manual handy as you will need it often.

Have fun with ham radio and enjoy your new radio.

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: