Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6M Mobile?  (Read 450 times)
KK7KZ

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »

Hi,

Just getting back on 6M after a huge hiatus. Anybody do 6M mobile anymore or is it more of a mountaintopping activity?

And, what is the hot setup for 6M mobile. I don't see many mobile antennas except for the 6M Hamsticks.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:50:41 PM »

hi ron,

here is a link for 6m antenna that
is great at home or mobile

http://www.eham.net/articles/4319

73 james
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 04:17:47 AM »

Six meter openings these days are a bit spotty. Even with a good sized array, you're not going have many QSOs. Since we're nearing the bottom of the cycle, it will be two or three years before things get good again. There will be, of course, a few openings now and then, but it takes a lot of listening.

Over the last several weeks, I have heard three openings, but none worth mentioning. Then again I'm not Steve Katz (WB2WIK/6) with a HUGH array.

Plug along, as you never know.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 07:43:28 AM »

Thanks for the updates, guys! I was hoping to get some feedback on how much local activity there was around the states on 6M. I like 6 a bunch and know there won't be much going on as far as DX is concerned but like to mobile on 6. Years ago, it was a kick in the LA basin on 6 meter AM. I presently live in SLC and I don't hear much. Is that true elsewhere too?

Has it become a DX band only?

Thanks!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 08:05:29 AM »

If you run 100W mobile to a good horizontally polarized omni antenna like a halo up high enough above the vehicle to actually work well (the old-fashioned 6' mast from a bumper mount, with a halo at the top, still works well), I think you'll have some fun.  

I don't really operate 6m mobile myself, but a lot of guys do and I work them when I catch them from my home station.  Some are really serious about it and have much better setups than I just described, like 300-400W to a pair of stacked loops, stuff like that.  Pat, N6RMJ lives in the high desert and has a very good 6m mobile station, seems no matter where he goes I can always hear him!

It's not super-active like 40 meters, so you probably won't have ten guys chatting with you in 6m round-tables.  But there is activity, and of course you hear and work more stuff if you drive to a hilltop.  Many hams have achieved 6m WAS "mobile" (not that there's a separate award for that, there isn't) -- I remember one of the "early" ones to do that was Oscar, W2NOF, who used to drive from Brooklyn, NY up to Mt. Equinox, VT almost every weekend (250 miles each way, with the last 4 miles being an expensive private toll road that climbed 2000 feet in elevation) to work 6m "mobile," using an all-tube Clegg Venus in his car, with a Saturn-6 3-ring halo.  What a signal.

WB2WIK/6
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 02:01:07 PM »

I liked the comment "its a bit spotty these days".If you were living in Europe it would be the last band you would ever consider using as mobile communication.

Six metres in Europe has been "spotty" for the last 100 years, and I know of people who have driven the length of Britain calling on 2 metres, and they gave up in despair !

If you want to talk to somebody, get on 20 metres.

73,  Mel  G0GQK
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 02:13:02 PM »

Thanks for all the responses.

I will be receiving my new TS-480sat on Monday and wanted to be prepared.

With that box I won't be disappointed if 6 is dead, there are plenty of other options available. I plan to use it mobiling/mountaintopping where I can avoid the 'restrictions' and get out of the noisy environment in the city. You know, the slingshot, a Par end fed, etc.

Steve - used to drive up to Mt. Baldy and work 6 back into the basin on 5W or so. Still haven't forgotten those early contacts and that was in the '60's!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 04:51:15 PM »

Here in VA I have 6M SSB mobile using a vertical (certainly not an ideal antenna). I have worked DX into the midwest when the band is open. Normally however I never hear any activity and never get an answer to any CQs.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 09:49:29 AM »

Yep, I've done that, too.

Later than the 50s -- actually probably towards the end of the 60s -- hams discovered that Mt. Pinos was a better VHF operating location.  Not quite as high as Baldy (Pinos is 8831') but much closer to the ocean with a clear view of 180 degrees of Pacific to the west, and you can still see into Nevada to the east.

I've operated there several times, myself and must say, "simply amazing."  Darned band never closes up there.

Go home, and it's closed again.

Hard to describe to someone who hasn't done this.

WB2WIK/6

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 08:39:26 AM »

> It's not super-active like 40 meters, so you probably
> won't have ten guys chatting with you in 6m
> round-tables.

That depends entirely on where you live.  When I was in North Carolina there were 6m SSB roundtables every night with hams from NC, SC, and VA always on.  That certainly wasn't true when I was in Ohio.  We'll see how it is here in northeastern Wisconsin soon enough.

Other than that I agree with Steve, WB2WIK/6:  the key is a horizonatlly polarized antenna.  When the band is open a vertical will work, and I have used a Hamstick in the past with good results.  I currently use a Maldol HMC-6S when I have an HF/6m rig in the car and I like it very much.  However, as Steve often points out, the horizontal antenna gives you the opportunity to work people the other 300 days a year when the band isn't open.  100W isn't strictly necessary.  I've made lots of contacts with just 10W.  Of course more power will mean a somewhat stronger signal and with the limitations mobile antennas place on us the extra power can only help.

I own a KU4AB square loop and find it to be well made and a good choice for portable/mobile operation and even as a base antenna for limited/restricted spaces.  See: http://www.ku4ab.com  I actually have Phil's antennas for 2m, 222MHz, and 70cm as well.

Oh, and yeah, on a very high mountain (Mt. Mitchell in NC is high enough) you can always find activity on 6m.  I also worked an opening from the top of Spokane Mountain in Washington.  That was a blast.

Hopefully I'll work you some day from here in EN54.

Caity
K7VO/9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: