Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High sierra Vs Hi-Q  (Read 567 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:36:57 PM »

As I post before I want to buy one of thsi antannas but I really don't know which one , I saw good review for both, and I woul like to hera from expirenced people wich one to get for a mobile operation, the Hiq since more compliatede for installation and mactchin than the 1800 high sierra but I would like to see your opinions about it , so I can decide what to get
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »

It's a little hard to follow your post due to the spelling errors. However, if you are looking for a comparison between the two antennas, you'll get as many answers ask people you ask.

I use a HiQ. They are not cheap, and there is a good reason for it. They are sealed, and if you live in a dusty climate, you don't have to worry about the slip joint all screwdriver antennas have. They don't change length with frequency either.

All screwdrivers change length. therefore, they have to have a slip joint. Some are not sealed at all. Some, like the High Sierra, are rather well sealed. The 1800 is the most popular of the bunch, BTW.

Unless you're going to the effort to properly install your antenna, and wire, and bond, etc., you'd be better off with a cheaper antenna. If you want to know why this is so, read my Antenna article on my web site. Or, read my bonding article that was published here a couple of days ago.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:28:56 PM »

sorry for the spelling erros, but I was in a hurry, I ckecked your web site, looks pretty good and seems like a lot of people recomend it, but the only concern I have with the Hi-q , is seems like is tricky to match sapcially down on 80 meters and the hig sierra does not, but if you or some one whom has used both can talk to me about it that it'll be great

TNX EMILSE
N4ZKF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:52:09 PM »

I own a Hi Sierra sidekick. I bought an AH-4 Icom tuner and Icom's A2H antenna. I put them beside the Hi Sierra with an A/B switch and did QSO's.

I could have an S6 signal on the Hi Sierra and when I would switch to the Icom, the signal was gone!

So, the Hi Sierra got my vote with my IC-7000 so the Icom antenna and tuner went back. But, if you want to get them on the phone. Good luck.

I have tried for weeks and the phone is never answered. My only drawback.

73 Dave n4zkf
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »

I am partial to the High Sierra full size antennas, having an 1800 on my Windstar. I have no problems working anyone I can hear, and that includes on 80m.

All I know about the Hi-Q is what I read on their web site and hear from Alan, so I can't comment on their performance.

Of the two, the HS mounting looks stronger and easier, but that is often hard to judge just by photos. I have seen two Hi-Q installations personally  and I wasn't impressed with either, but that may well be more the end user rather than the antenna itself.

In either case a proper installation is EVERYTHING! With a good installation performance is excellent, With a poor installation, any of them is a waste of money. These antennas are too expensive to skimp on installation and Alan is pretty much the install guru, so if you go the motorized antenna route follow his suggestions and you'll have a good time on mobile HF.

On the rare occxastion I travel in some vehicle other than my own, I'm lost without the radio!

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W7IZO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »

I recently installed the High Sierra 1800 platinum in my F-250 pickup.  It is great.  I am constantly getting amazing signal reports from folks who just can;t believe it is a mobile station.  I run the Icom 706 MKII G at 100 watts.  I think the key for me was asking a local car audio installer to do the job for me.  It cost me $90, but it is a beatiful installation both aesthetically and functionally.  I was careful to completely read and understand the installation guide, and to go over it in detail with the installer so they knew exactly what was required.  I am certain the extra-heavy guage ground strap is key to making the thing resonate so well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: