Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless PTT  (Read 614 times)
K2WVA

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »

I am looking for a wireless remote PTT.  The PTT transmitter unit should be similar to a car key fob remote switch.  The receiver should be fairly small.  Both units must be battery powered (9v or less).  It can be a kit.  Mine would be for my Yaesu VX-5R.  

I know of a least a dozen other people who would be interested.  We are paraglider pilots.  When flying our aircraft, we prefer to keep our hands on toggle controls that move around quite a bit.  Even taking our hands off these controls to operate a regular PTT is not optimal.  There are no totally satisfactory places to position a wired PTT and still operate the toggles.  

A wireless PTT is one answer.

Do you know of a kit or commercial unit that has a wireless remote momentary-on switch?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:45:44 AM »

One alternative is to use VOX. However, there may be too much wind noise for that. The units are available from several sources.

Remoting a PTT isn't much more complicated than grounding the PTT. The hard part is bringing out the PTT, as most handhelds don't offer an easy way to do it.

I knew a guy in Denver, who road bikes all of the time, and he fashioned a PTT that clipped around his thumb. PTT was just a matter of a thumb-fore finger pinch. This eliminated any wiring attached to the bicycle; a good point in case you fell off. Hopefully you won't fall off the glider.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K2WVA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »

Alan,
Thank you for the info, but alas, they have been tried and come up short.

The wind noise around our helmets pretty much rules out VOX setups.  

I take it that your cycling friend grounded the PTT through the bike frame.  Very innovative.  But we don't have much metal.  (Except perhaps for the mettle kind.)

Thanks,

Patrick, K2WVA
KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »

If you don't mind some "assembly"... Well, actually, a lot: Here are some links to manufacturers that make RF modules that could be used for controlling switches. They probably are overkill in terms of capability.

www.linxtechnologies.com
www.radiometrix.co.uk
www.abacomdirect.com

Nothing in those sites are "off-the-shelf" although Linx technologies does have key fob transmitters and a receiver demo kit. There is probably something simpler out there, but these are the URLs I know.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:59:25 AM »

One correction Patrick, the PTT was not grounded through the frame. That sort of asks for RFI problems. One of the easiest ways to do this is buy an inline mic jack, and a plug. Then just wire it up.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W1WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »

Since you are attached to the VX5R anyway, why wont a wired PTT work if it can be located anywhere on you?

I use one with my FT60R with a PTT that can be conviently slipped onto my forefinger ring-like and pressed with my thumb. It also uses a throat mic to reduce noise and an ear-tube that can be used under a helmet.  

Here is a link to a unit from the e-bay person I got mine from:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Throat-Vibration-Mic-for-Yaesu-w-Transparent-Tube_W0QQitemZ5868307002QQcategoryZ48707QQcmdZViewItem

Walter  W1WEC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: