Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Focus power run  (Read 394 times)
KC0TAS

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »

I have just purchased my first mobile rig.  Now I am trying to run the power leads from the battery into the radio.  Has anyone found a ready made hole?  I looked today but couldn't find anything.  Really don't want to make one, but I will if I have to.

Thanks,
KC0TAS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 05:12:07 AM »

Make one. The Focus does have a few holes some people would have you use, but it isn't wise to use existing holes; at lease ones with existing cables or wires. I've even seen suggestions about using an ice pick to start the holes! Bad idea.

Drilling isn't all that difficult. the most important part is making sure what is on both sides of the sheet metal. That, and using a proper grommet for the hole. As for the size, a 3/4 inch is about right for standard harnesses that have in line fuse holders. If you take those apart, they'll easily go through a 3/4" hole. Feed from the cabin side for obvious reasons. Don't forget to put the grommet on the cable first.

If you need more info, read the Wiring article on my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »

Another reason for a 3/4 inch hole is that this is the size for an NMO mount and the nifty little Antenex hole saw designed for that task can also be used to do the firewall hole.

Shop around, the Antenex hole saw is available inexpensively on the web.

73 de Walt N2IK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:15:51 AM »

You know what Walt? That's a use for the saw I hadn't thought about, and it's a good one.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: