Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeasu FT-2800 Good/Bad/??  (Read 1194 times)
KE5EKO

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:36:17 AM »

Thinking about buying a new 2 meter rig and was looking at this Yaesu. Does anyone have any info about problems, etc. or is there a better 2 meter radio for about the same price??? Thanks...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »

I think you should think about this. See if you can find a good used Icom 706 or yaesu FT100 HF/VHF/UHF rig. It'll do what you want, and a lot more. Listening in on some of the fun of HF just might motivate your upgrade potential.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 03:26:49 PM »

A tough decision because most rigs in this class perform just fine. The various combinations of features and the relative importance you assign to each makes it a pretty subjective choice in the end. See also...

Yaesu FT-1802M (cheaper, smaller)
Icom IC-2200H, IC-V8000 (more expensive, digital potential)
Kenwood TM-271A

I personally wouldn't purchase a single-band 2M radio except for specific uses such as a dedicated packet rig, but YMMV.

Now, about Alan's (K0BG) comments: Don't get put off by his Zen-like, "un-ask the question", non-answer. Alan is concerned that many new hams immediately buy 2 meter FM radios, play for awhile, get discouraged or bored by the inherent limitations and later drop out of amateur radio without really experiencing other modes of operating. The "VHF/UHF-FM springboard into ham radio" where people start in VHF and gradually transition into HF modes has not been a terribly successful model*. That's why Alan advocates purchasing an HF-capable rig early into the hobby. The hypothesis is that the retention rate for new hams would be greater if people started the hobby with exposure to a wider range of possible activities. I think he is generally correct. But YMMV - You're a person, not a statistic. Operating HF mobile in my car doesn't do it for me. But at home or out camping; that's a different situation.

* It worked in my case. Go figure.
KC5AV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:03:43 AM »

I purchased an FT-2800 in October 2005 to replace an Icom 2100H that I'd had for several years.  I had already replaced the microphone on the 2100 once, and was needing to replace it again.  I decided to replace the radio instead.

I immediately noticed that the reciever on the 2800 was not quite as discriminate about what it let through.  I never had problems with intermod/hash/junk coming through on the 2100H.  With the 2800, you have to really work hard setting the squelch to find just the right spot.  That is really the only negative I have found about the radio.  Once you spend a little time navigating the menus, they are fairly easy to understand.

Since I am pretty much limited to 2 meters while mobile (there isn't a lot of repeater activity on other bands around here, and I park in a garage with very low clearance at work) the 2800 has been a very good radio for me.  It has plenty of power output capability, and plenty of memory available.

Now, the other side of the coin.  It looks like you are in a larger, more metropolitan area.  I'm sure that there are many repeaters in your area, so you might be better off looking at something a litte more complete.  Alan suggested a used Icom 706, but the prices on those (both new and used) have shot up over the last few months.  His advice, though, is good.  You might look for a used FT-100D or an FT-857D.  Both of them have HF through 70cm, and the price might not be too steep.  The FT-100 has an overall rating of 4.1 and the FT-857 has an overall rating of 4.5 (check the e-ham reviews).  The 706 is selling for a little over $900 right now, and the 857D is selling for about $700.  I'm not sure what the average is on the used market.  While those might seem a little steep, consider that you would spend almost $200 for a new 2m FM rig.  For under $1000 you can get all modes for 6m, 2m, and 70cm that are available to your technician class license, and if you decide to upgrade, you would already have a radio for access to HF.

Now that I've chased that rabbit to death, I'll get back to the question at hand.  If all you intend to operate is 2m FM, the 2800 is not a bad choice.  I like the receiver on the Icom 2100 better, and the Icom 2200 should be very similar.  If given the choice, I would probably buy another 2800, though.  The receiver isn't that big of an issue.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56:12 AM »

Tim is very correct about his assumptions on my earlier post. If the ARRL is correct in its assessment, and I believe they are, non exposure to HF is the second most commonality for letting first time licenses expire. The most common is no radio at all.

Worse yet (I think), are those who purchase a handheld as a first radio. Perhaps due to finances, but in my view that's surmountable if the interest (excuse the pun) is there.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:10 PM »

Gads, I must've done everything wrong when I started...
KE5EKO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:29:12 PM »

Thanks to KC5AV for the info on the 2800...

To all others than resonded.....

I have a HF radio that I monitor everday. I have passed Element 3 and am working dilligently on the code as I type this.
I am moving to an area that has no VHF/UHF activity except 2 meters, so that is my reasoning behind purchasing a 2 meter radio.  Plus I have never owned a NEW radio and I thought it was about time.

Again, thanks to all that responded. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to talk with y'all on HF very soon. 73......Mike
KE6GLW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

Mmm... A new radio is a treat! The FT-2800 is very solid rig. You'll like it but be sure to mount it with space for ventilation over the heatsink. I just talked to a ham who is a field biologist in Wisconsin and he sets up the rig in weather alert mode when severe weather might be approaching. Check out Yahoo groups for more info.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT-2800M/

Have fun!
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:19:19 AM »

I bought a 2 meter mobile rig for my first radio, the thing that bothered me the most was no Elmers.  I went to a RACES meeting in San Diego, CA back in 87 - 88 time frame and asked for assistance in programming my radio.  At the time I couldnt make heads or tails on the manual so a HAM at the end of the meeting went out to my truck asked me what freqs I wanted put in the radio, well he put them in and I learned nothing, was very disappointed at the way I was treated.  But I am still in Amateur radio and when someone asks me for help I put the first couple in and they are watching me because I wont program their radio if they aren't watching and then I make them do the rest.  They wont learn if they dont do it.

I have a Yaesu FT-2800 rig and I like it.  I've used it since I bought it back in July 2005.  My first rig was an Alinco, it was the only thing I could afford at the time.  The FT-2800 has alot of very nice features.  Go to E-Hams Product Review section and click on those words and then search you will find the FT-2800, read up on the radio then make your decision.

73's N0mud
KC0SYT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »

I have an FT-2800M and use it as a radio that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.  It works great!  I have attached a cigarette adapter to the power cord and use a mag mount antenna.  When not in use, it all fits inside a tool box until I need it again!

I use it mostly for Rally Racing events where I am usually not in my own car.

Good luck and have fun,
Rich
W1WEC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 10:14:02 AM »

I bought one about 2 years ago and really like it. It has ridden with me (in my lap) at a couple performance rallys when I was the ham for an official as well as having been my daily radio unt until now. The lack of fans is nice, but you do need to provide some space around it as it can get warm. I really like the bug tuning knob and separate volume and squelch.  I have an FT-8800 dual band, an FT-1500 compact 2m, a VX150 and an FT60R HT and one thing about them all that is a bit of a pain are the teeny knobs and combined volume /squelch. The 2800 was my first Yaesu and the positive impression it left me is largely why I now have 4 others.

I found performance to be excellent. Truth is I have used the radio the most when working rallys up in Maine, where it can be a long way to a repeater or the next simplex operator and I havent had any issues staying in touch.

This winter I replaced the 2800 with the 8800 in my vehicles, mainly for the dual channel and cross band repeat capability. The 2800 has moved atop a linear supply in my shop and now serves as a base 2m.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: