Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLATINUM SPARK PLUG  (Read 353 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »

I want to replace my spark plug on a toyota 4runner, and I tought to put the platinum kind with the 4 prones, does anybody knows if doing this I have the chances of getting noise on my radio
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »

It has been my experience that any plug other than the stock designed ones, will not reduce ignition RFI. It may not be any worse, but it isn't going to magically cure RFI.

Modern engines, especially those with long tune up intervals already use platinum tipped plugs. And I would even agree that some of them have more than one ground electrode. But the truth is, most of the RFI comes from the plug wires themselves.

On COP equipped engines, the majority of the RFI comes from the control wiring. I've tried about everything I can think of, even to the point of making up my own shielded wiring harness, and I can tell you it's almost a waste of time. You MIGHT get the level to fall a few S units, but you'll never make it disappear. Even electronically controlled diesels are getting noisier.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the new Bosch system that incorporates direct fuel injection, ignition, and knock sensor all in one.

Too bad they don't make one model just for us amateurs. They could call it ATV; Amateur Transceiver Vehicle.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N7SET

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:37:58 AM »

In addition, the actual spark gap in an engine is completely shielded electrically. The head and the block are both at ground potential.
If you replace your spark plug wires, be weary of 'performance' spark wires. In order to deliver more spark power to the plugs, manufacturers may skimp on the EMI supression, especially since many performance wires will be run in a racetrack-only environment.
For the most part, replacing your spark plug wires with genuine OEM parts every 35-50K will prevent noise created by deteriorating conductors and insulation, and help your engine run better, too.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »

Save your money. Multi-pronged plugs were designed to fire better in oil-fouled cylinders, the concept being that somewhere there would be a "drier" path for a clean spark.

Car companies compete heavily for performance and mileage ratings, if the multi-tip plugs really gave ANY measureable performance gain, don't you think they'd be sold as standard equipment on the cars?

Snake oil. Not to mention, no help for the radio. If anything...if they really made four sparks instead of one, wouldn't that just make 4x the noise?<G>
KC0EJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:33:59 PM »

WOW. I'm surprised at how some actually think the same way I was taught at tech college. The best thing you can do like the others have stated is to stick with what the manufacturer installed originally. That goes for pretty much everything on a car.

And yes a LOT of performance plug wires are going to give you more headaches than they cure... so I found out the hard way!

Changing to multi-electrode plugs can actually cause severe problems down the road if the gap isn't set right, and good luck trying to gap a four electrode plug! Even if correct, in the future, if the electrodes start to burn away, you'll end up with a larger gap. This in turn means you need more voltage to jump the gap. This can lead to a burned up coil, or other ignition problems. Granted this would take a while, but is still a possilbility.

So, in short, stick with the OEM equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: