Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Noise - Cannot eliminate: 94 Toyota Picku  (Read 1250 times)
KB7TEF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2003, 11:59:59 PM »

Yeah, I found that some time ago.  Holy cow, that guy was VERY thorough.  The problem is that by the time I found someone to zinc plate my distributor and come up with all the parts he used, I would be old and gray Wink.  I am SURE that he gave sound advice, and was impressed with the lengths he went to.  However, I just can't get excited about doing something that NASA would have to figure out to my car.  

I know, I know... I must not be a true Ham.  Well, the noise is down to S3-S4 with my preamp on.  That came from grounding everything I could think of.  Still waiting on those Magnecor spark plug wires - they should be here next week.  If they do the job that they say they will, I will be more than pleased.

By the way, I found a dealer who sells them for $90.  Locally they had them for $137.  $90 is not a ton more than a standard set.  

I will post my experience once I get them installed.  Regardless, that QEX article is a fantastic read and explains a lot of the theory behind eliminating noise...

Steve
KB7TEF
WB2LZW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 10:40:01 AM »

Steve - The trail ended as you were about to receive the Magnecor wires.  Did they help?

I just installed a FT 857 in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma.  The noise on all the HF bands is S9 to 10 over.  A check under the hood indicates it's just a big RF radiator.  I following the sugestions in the subject trail.  My thanks to those that posted them.

Rick
KB7TEF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 11:50:15 AM »

Well, I got them but they didn't do much.  I think bonding all of the truck parts (door, tailgate, etc) did more good than the plug wires.  My noise is about S3 now, which is at least tolerable with a good NB.

Steve
KI4KWX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

Got a question about the Magnecor wires you bought.  Were they the CN-series 8.5mm wires, or were they just replacement spark plug wires for your vehicle?  Magnecor makes both kinds, and only the CN-series have full EMI suppression.

Bill Williams (N4PCF)
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: