Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation for (cheap) mobile HF rig  (Read 634 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:43:55 PM »

Hi folks,

I need to put a mobile HF rig into my second vehicle and am looking for an older HF only rig. (The vehicle already has an FT-8800 in it).

Any suggestions? The locals like Icom IC-735's but that really isn't a good mobile form factor.

Thanks & 73

-Donald
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:04:38 AM »

With the introduction of the IC-7000, there will be a lot of used IC-706s on the market. I sold one of the two I owned for $350 (MkIIg) complete with extra mic, headset, remote cable, and all of the brackets. The fact they can be remoted is an added benefit, as is the 160 through 440 coverage.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:32:11 AM »

The little Alinco DX-70TH rigs aren't bad. It has 6m at 100w which is nice. On the plain T version, 6m output is 10w.

I have one for mobile with a High Sierra 1800Pro and another one for my portable rig.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:13:39 PM »

I don't know about "mobile form factor," but my favorite HF mobile rig is still my little Ten Tec SCOUT 555 (no longer made).  

It's kind of boxy, but with a mobile mount (Ten Tec did sell one) it tucks in under the dash pretty well in my cars.  It's lightweight and extremely easy to use with no memories and no programs.  Very much plug & play, with every single control on the front panel; great transmit modulation; a great internal CW keyer; variable IF bandwidth; and an excellent noise blanker that takes S9 mobile noise down to nothing without creating distortion.

I especially like that I can "adjust stuff" while zipping down the road at 75 mph without taking my eyes off the road to look at the rig, because the front panel controls are easy to identify and use on the fly -- unlike "menu driven" rigs that absolutely require a good look to see what you're doing when making adjustments.  To me, this kind of flexibility is worth much more than most other mobile rig attributes.

WB2WIK/6
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 10:22:53 PM »

I agree with Steve's suggestion for a good used Ten Tec Scout.  You can pick one up with a number of band modules for around $300 in good condition.  Just make sure you get one with the noise blanker option installed.  It's easy to use, has no menus, and has a very decent receiver.  It's quite voltage sensitive so make sure you run a good heavy guage power cord directly to the car's battery.  The Jones filter is very nice for reducing/removing adjacent signal QRM.

The Alinco DX-70TH is a very nice little radio but the noise blanker is useless.  That makes it a really poor choice for mobile operation.  

I don't like fiddling with menus in a mobile environment which pretty much eliminates the Icom IC-706 series, FT-857/FT-857D and FT-100/FT-100D.

Caity
K7VO
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 11:10:08 AM »

If you can find a Yaesu FT900 for a price in your range, they are a great rig, though a bit larger than the IC706 or Scout.
K4MZW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »

There have been some recent deals on older Kenwoods...TS-130's etc.  Not the latest bud good dependable rigs with excellent audio.  I've tried all the last few solid state rigs all with too much noise for my liking...so I am going back in time to about 20 years ago.
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:46:02 AM »

Greetings all,

Thought I'd get back to you with the results of your advice.

Although I wanted to, I just couldn't warm up the to Scout. Between the voltage sensitivity and the band modules, it just didn't quite "do it" for me.

My Saab is very quiet, both in audio and EMI terms, so I went with a cheap Alinco DX-70TH. The price was right, so it won't be too bad of an experiment.

There *is* a partial noise blanker mod out there.

Installing into the Saab will be another "adventure."

Thanks for your help &

73 de Donald
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »

Caity,

<< The Alinco DX-70TH is a very nice little radio but the noise blanker is useless. That makes it a really poor choice for mobile operation. >>

I see we disagree on something else. Smiley

The noise blanker isn't useless. It may not be the best, but it does a nice job of taking out the last bit of impulse noise in my Windstar. Of course, proper bonding and other noise control measures take care of the vast majority of it.

And yes, it does make a nice little mobile rig. Mine is in its third vehicle and I have about 65 countries and 41 states mobile.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: